Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

silence

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 1, 2005
Thanks to my computer i'm losing lots of sleep! I've tried so many things and am still having the problem.. i don't know if it's the application, my apple, or just me..

Because i'm a heavy sleeper, i desperately wanted to make my apple an alarm clock.. I first purchased a 3rd party program called 'PowerController'. It was quite a neat little program and worked well.. turning my computer on at 7.30 am playing my favourite iTunes music. HOWEVER, it also turned my computer on at 1.20 am EVERY night which really scares the s*** out of me. I couldn't fix it so eventually deleted the program and installed iAlarm. To my delight i'm getting the same problem. All i can do now is pull the power socket out every night.

Apologies for the long post.. i just need to share this extremely frustrating experience. I'm running Mac OSX panther on a PowerMac G4 466.. it's such a simple function i'm looking for and don't understand why these developers just can't get it right. Is anyone else experiencing this problem? How can i stop it from happening?? If anyone can provide the golden solution i will be eternally grateful...... so will my neighbours!

erickg

macrumors 6502
Nov 4, 2004
silence said:
Thanks to my computer i'm losing lots of sleep! I've tried so many things and am still having the problem.. i don't know if it's the application, my apple, or just me..

Because i'm a heavy sleeper, i desperately wanted to make my apple an alarm clock.. I first purchased a 3rd party program called 'PowerController'. It was quite a neat little program and worked well.. turning my computer on at 7.30 am playing my favourite iTunes music. HOWEVER, it also turned my computer on at 1.20 am EVERY night which really scares the s*** out of me. I couldn't fix it so eventually deleted the program and installed iAlarm. To my delight i'm getting the same problem. All i can do now is pull the power socket out every night.

Apologies for the long post.. i just need to share this extremely frustrating experience. I'm running Mac OSX panther on a PowerMac G4 466.. it's such a simple function i'm looking for and don't understand why these developers just can't get it right. Is anyone else experiencing this problem? How can i stop it from happening?? If anyone can provide the golden solution i will be eternally grateful...... so will my neighbours!

Hey Silence,

I completely understand your frustration. I'm running OS X Tiger, so I'm not 100% sure that this would work in Panther, but I would uninstall iAlarm and go with a combination of letting the OS turn your computer on every morning (via Sys Prefs>Energy Saver>Schedule) a couple minutes before your alarm should go off and set an iCal event to open a specific song in iTunes as its alarm. Then you can repeat the event in iCal.

Hope this helps!

silence

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 1, 2005
thanks a million erickg your solution has fixed the problem.. you don't understand how much this will help my daily schedule..!

as a newbie here hehe, can i just take this moment to say.. for the short time i've been a member on this forum.. i've found everyone on the site to be polite, helpful, and all with a wealth of knowledge. i've posted three questions in 2 days since joining, and all of them have been answered spot on. i don't know how i've survived with my Mac this long without such a supportive group of ppl.. :p

thanks again!!

SteveC

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2003
silence said:
thanks a million erickg your solution has fixed the problem.. you don't understand how much this will help my daily schedule..!

as a newbie here hehe, can i just take this moment to say.. for the short time i've been a member on this forum.. i've found everyone on the site to be polite, helpful, and all with a wealth of knowledge. i've posted three questions in 2 days since joining, and all of them have been answered spot on. i don't know how i've survived with my Mac this long without such a supportive group of ppl.. :p

thanks again!!
Score one for erickg and the other great MR members. :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.