iApp Updates Coming: iMovie, iTunes, iPhoto and New App?

Discussion in 'MacRumors News Discussion (archive)' started by MacRumors, Dec 9, 2003.

1. macrumors bot

Apr 12, 2001
    Reliable sources report that Mac users will be seeing iApp updates in the near future, possibly as early as MacWorld Expo in January 2004.

As rumored, iMovie 3.5 is in the works, but will not bring major new features to the consumer DV application. Minor improvements and interface tweaks are instead expected.

Apple last updated iTunes to version 4.1 alongside the introduction of the Windows player. According to notes, we should see another iTunes 4 update with improvements related to Purchased Music, iPods and Music Store Availability.

iPhoto will also be seeing some improvements... with Apple finally adding support for Photo Albums and Photo Print services to "some" countries outside the United States.

Also near release is a completely new Application... no details yet available, but could also be introduced as early as the January MacWorld Expo.
  2. macrumors regular

Dec 19, 2002

Continual Improvement. You have to like it. As for a new app.....My guess is iTracks. A scaled down version of Soundtrack.
  3. macrumors 603

Jul 23, 2002
    Fuquay Varina, NC
  4. macrumors regular

May 19, 2002
    Northallerton, England
    Look forward to the updates, has been 12 months since a major update with most of them. Would love to see iMovie become a movie management tool as well. Something like iTunes where you can store your movie files, browse the collection and then play, export etc. I hope that the new app will be a web publishing tool that can create basic web pages using images from iPhoto, sounds from iTunes etc.
  5. mvc
    macrumors 6502a

Jul 11, 2003
    iPhoto with multiple albums - oh pleeease yes. Anyone with young kids knows how BIG the iPhoto library can get! :p
  6. macrumors 604

Jul 4, 2001
    1 Block away from NYC.

Appleworks == need of serious repair... they better be working on it... really.

Apple just needs to bring the 'all in one' into the Word Processor... like yesterday.
  7. macrumors 6502a

Nov 21, 2002
    Dane in L.A.
    Great to hear about the iPhoto updates, I would love some more options when you make a book though Kodak.
  8. macrumors 65816

Dec 14, 2001
    While iTrack may be cool and fun, I think the the iOffice/iWorks-complete overhaul of Appleworks adding KeyNote other features to create an Office alternative- makes more sense. It would be another reason to go mac, it would allow mac users to completely free them of M$ dependence. As well as make macs look like a 'total solution package'. No knock on M$, they just seem to make their software bigger then it needs to be, that's called, um, mm, bloat-ware? I think Apple could make a nice Appleworks type office app and would be a possible $49 paid iApp.

iTrack is just a fun tool for some, and would have to be free.
  9. macrumors 68020

Aug 5, 2003

I'm looking forward to use appleworks... I got it as a gift but has not been often used ... sometimes I go better to x11 and Openoffice.org ... a general check to the iapps is needed to celebrate the 20 years...
  10. macrumors regular

Oct 12, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Throughout all the discussions of new iApps, I don't recall anyone mentioning anything about iDVD. Everytime I have used it for projects, it has been quite buggy. It takes forever to load and crashes frequently. I don't expect a new version in January, but a small update for better performance would be nice.
  11. macrumors member

Mar 6, 2003
    A Window Sill in Cupertino
    While I would love to a see an major upgrade to Appleworks, I have to wonder that if (as rumored), Microsoft will be introducing the next version of Office and VirtualPC during the keynote, that the likely hood of an Office app being introduced at the same time is slim to none.

How about a scaled down version of LiveType. Someone up there mentioned a scaled version of Soundtrack, but I'd think with iMovie, LiveType might be more useful.

12. macrumors regular

Oct 12, 2003
    Los Angeles
    I agree completely. iMovie's titling abilities are undoubtedly it's weakest feature.
  13. macrumors member

May 6, 2003
    appleworks replacement

for the love of god give us an appleworks replacement. I use textedit rather than use appleworks.

does anyone else feel like appleworks doesn't even fit OS X? It just feels like the elephant in the middle of the room.

please Steve, please, an appleworks update.
  14. macrumors 6502a

Feb 11, 2003
    The Midwest, USA
    Two problems: iPhoto & iDVD.

Once Apple updates these two programs, paying $49 for the iLife package will be worth it...

iPhoto is SLOW :( (even on 1Ghz+ G4s - haven't tested on G5).

iDVD loads SLOW :( (but it is otherwise pretty good).

Once iPhoto is optimized to be able to hold more than 500 or so photos and run as fast as the Finder, or able to let me rotate a photo in less than 5 seconds, then I'll not have problems with it.

Apple: PLEASE make iPhoto FASTER! Thank you:confused:
  15. macrumors 68000

Oct 8, 2003
    Sacramento, CA, USA
    It sure would be neat if the "new application" was a Apple word processor.

I hope.....
  16. macrumors 65816

Oct 9, 2003
    A Higher Level
    Re: appleworks replacement

Appleworks sucks. It needs to be updated, so i wont have to spend money with MS on office x
  17. macrumors member

Dec 31, 2001
    How about RAW image support in iPhoto. And the ability to group albums together with expandable sub albums.
  18. macrumors 68020

Aug 5, 2003
    Re: appleworks replacement (double update)

Sure, it doesn't fit there... it doesn't look aqua, metal... whatever comes to apple... needs a big check... apple must work...
  19. macrumors regular

Jan 16, 2003
    Greenvale, NY
    I burn my entire album to CD at the end of every year and start fresh with the coming year..... it works for me.
    The scary part is throwing away last years album. I always make sure the CD works ( and I usually make 2).
  20. macrumors P6

Jun 4, 2003
    Hmm, new iApp? Can't wait to see what it is! The other updates will be great too! This is what I like - constant improvements and upgrades, and free to download with ease off the Apple site. The way it should be with everything!
  21. macrumors 6502a

Feb 11, 2003
    The Midwest, USA
    You can do this, but if you need access to all of your pictures, no matter how old, at any time (like when you're doing videos and need certain clipart or photos), you don't want to have to put in each CD and open up the libraries until you find the right one (I tried this, but it just didn't work...

Apple needs to let us manage our pictures how we want, and do it faster! :)
  22. macrumors member

Jun 12, 2003
    Philadelphia, PA
    (Crosses fingers)

Come on, prosumer audio recording and/or sequencing!
  23. macrumors 65816

Jan 23, 2003
    Southern California
    For what it's worth, here's my wishlist (aka stuff that'll never be implemented because Apple likes to torment me): :p

- Real support for uploading a web page to other services. All it really needs is a ftp username/password and iPhoto could do the rest. Would be great for my mom, who doesn't want to pay for .Mac but doesn't want the hassle of uploading stuff herself. Of course, this cuts into .Mac sales, so no way it'll happen!
    - Yeah, it is a little slow
    - Redeye improvements - it's nice when it works, but often it doesn't do such a stellar job.

- Ripping albums as a single file with a cue sheet to separate tracks. This solves the gap problem once and for all! Problem is, I don't think Apple cares. Or most users, for that matter.
    - In conjunction, live albums and classical works need to be made available from iTMS as single files with cuesheets. Again, not gonna happen, but without this, the experience is simply not as good as a physical CD!
    - Smart playlists should be able to use a song's existence in another named playlist as a criterion. This allows advanced users to make logically complex playlists without confusing the interface.
    - There should be a preference for whether music played over rendezvous updates the play count and last played of the song. I sometimes play in other rooms this way, but then my play count is not really accurate. I like to see how many times I've played certain songs and build smart playlists based on that...

- Been awhile since I last used it, but I remember there were a bunch of little interface annoyances that I'd like to see improved. Stuff like importing a photo doesn't allow you to make a still clip of it -- instead it creates a movie with that stinking Ken Burns effect! Bunch of other little things... Any more real functionality and you might as well use FCE.

- I'd like a little more control, but I can't really complain now that we have chapter markers. That was the one thing that almost had me buying DVDSP for $1000, glad I didn't!
  24. macrumors regular

Jul 20, 2002
    I agree with the iPhoto comments— it DEFINITELY needs some major speed improvements. I've got well over 10,000 photos, and the only reason it's semi-usable is because I have a dual 1 GHz G4 (MDD), but even here it's crawling and can take 2-minute naps.. obviously it's partly due to the size of my library, but iPhoto has ALWAYS been extremely slow. It's a nice tool, but I wish it were faster. There are MANY very responsive and fast tools out there for managing photo libraries, and iPhoto would be among the best photo managers if it only had the speed. It's been a very long time since 1.0 came out, hopefully Apple will have worked something out soon!
  25. macrumors 68020

iSlowto is BEGGING for an update.

The way it loads previews of EVERYTHING drags it waaaaayyy down. Time for a rethinking...