iApps u/g fee !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by benixau, Jan 6, 2003.

1. benixau macrumors 65816

benixau

check store.apple.com

they have under apple software the fees for the upgrades already there. it is happening people.

or can someone calm me down and tell me that i am dreaming and that they have been there for ages.

ps. at 2.04AM EST AUS. the apple store from apple.com.au was down for updates aswell.

2. chmorley macrumors 6502a

chmorley

The sky is falling!!!

Unless they have changed something since you posted this, the only upgrade fees there have been there for a while.

Besides, the sky wouldn't fall if they charges--some people just would be able to afford them. While that's frustrating, it's not the end of the world.

Frankly, I hope they do charge. They obviously won't charge for the initial apps--it's one of the reasons people switch. However, if they don't get paid for the work they are doing, it could effect their ability to remain competitive. Not getting paid for your work is bad business practice. While some of the expense is probably included in the OS upgrades, when people don't upgrade the OS but want to remain current on their iApps, Apple needs to get paid somehow.

Chris

3. j763 macrumors 6502a

iMovie and iDVD have been pay-to-upgrade for over a year.

4. benixau thread starter macrumors 65816

benixau

few. i guess. thanx for that. it is just i started out on my new mac with jag. i guess i never needed to buy an update.

5. crassusad44 macrumors 6502a

Both iMovie and iDVD has been pay-for upgrades, and they will stay so. But you get the latest versions for free when you buy a new machine, or (hopefully as it has been until now) when you buy an update to OS X (like Jaguar)...

6. zarathustra macrumors 6502a

zarathustra

Don't flame me for this, but I could see how they would charge non .Mac members for upgrades on any of the iApps, but they would remain free for .Mac members...

7. benixau thread starter macrumors 65816

benixau

lets see, on AUD:

189 - 209 for .Mac
    100 - 120 for rumored iapp u/g

=
    89 for .mac (not as bad)

but for this to work well there would need to be u/g to all iapps every year.