IB Diploma results?

Discussion in 'Community' started by shadowfax, Jul 6, 2003.

1. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

Well, after 2 big years of IB, i finally got my results back today. they posted them at 16:00 GMT, 10:00 AM for me, and i got the diploma, fortunately. there are 6 tests with a max score of 7 on each, and the criteria for the diploma is 24 net points. i had 30. there are also 2 papers, an extended essay, a 4000 word paper on a very focused topic within a field of choice, as well as a "theory of knowledge" essay on a philosophical topic. i got an A on the former and a C on the latter. guess they don't appreciate a delicately argued religious assessment of classical philosophy... which is not my problem, entirely :)

i'm pleased with most of my grades, i guess. as is my wont, above average, but not outstanding. i know there are some IB people on this forum, how have you done? what do you think of IB now, after it's really all over and you know how you did?

2. Billicus macrumors 6502a

Billicus

Good for you!:D I'm glad your hard work is about to pay off!

3. shadowfax thread starter macrumors 603

shadowfax

IB, International Baccalaureate, is this rather rigorous program for high school Juniors and Seniors (takes both years) in which, in addition to your normal coursework, you do a lot of extra work in 6 different topics--3 you take standard level, 3 higher. you do a lot of papers/projects/labwork during the year, which gets sent to another country to be graded, and at the end of the year, you test in each of the 6 subjects. the grades you get on your test are compiled with the other work in the subject, and you get a grade of 1-7 on it. if you get a 1 or 2 on any higher level test, you are instantly rejected from receiving the diploma. but, barring that, and if you make a net of more than 24 points, you are given the diploma. in addition to the 6 subjects, you also write those 2 papers i mentioned, the Theory of Knowledge essay of which is written during a mandatory philosophy class that is not included in the 6 subjects. these 2 paper grades are compiled, giving you a bonus if you do well. an A on both gets you 3 points bonus, and an A on one and a B or C on the other gives you a 2 point bonus. there are lots of other combos.

4. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

so it's a way for other countries to recognize your intelligence rather than relying on our nation's standardized test system i guess?

congrats. had never heard of it before.

5. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

even though I already discussed it with u earlier...

congrats... ;)

6. shadowfax thread starter macrumors 603

shadowfax

sort of. it's internationally recognized, is the main thing for many. i mean, if i had done better, and i had a boatload of ca$h coming out of the wazoo, IB would make it much simpler for me to get accepted into a place like Oxford, or Cambridge, or some other prestigious foreign college.

as it is though, that's not of any use to me. my family and i chose IB because it was rigorous and comprehensive/interdisciplinary. it rewards intelligence across a number of fields rather than intelligence in a narrow field. for instance, if you are a huge math buff but you suck it up on english, or vice versa, you will likely do markedly worse than someone who is just reasonably good at both. which saves my ass, 'cos i've never really been especially good at anything.

by the way, thank you all for your congratulations, it's very kind of you.

7. job macrumors 68040

job

congrats.

I'm working on becoming a National AP Scholar. I like the AP program a little better than the IB. I also got my SAT and ACT grades the other day.

Wow, it's summer and we're still messing with school stuff. Blah. ;)

8. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Congratulations on your great scholarly work. I'm proud to be accepted by such high intelligent individuals. Personally just average. Is this the sort of thing that could lead to a Rhodes Scholarship?

9. shadowfax thread starter macrumors 603

shadowfax

what are the reqs for National AP scholar? 8 APs with 4s and 5s? are there any other stipulations? do you need like four 5s or something like that?

the AP program is nice; i am "in" it too, so to speak: i mean, i took 9 or so, i think. definitely 8, i'm too lazy to check now. it's much more "focused" than IB in that it rates you in one specific area rather than overall. there are no minimum requirements to how many you take, and a surprising number of people will just take 1 or 2. bit harder to finde the people that take all AP, it seems, though that was fairly popular at my school, due to the competitive environment, plus every kid in IB takes APs in every IB class they do, just because they are the same class almost every time. it kind of sucked in the science classes, where we would get so many people that were utterly incompetent in addition to terrible teachers. but you get over it. it's over now, eh?

10. shadowfax thread starter macrumors 603

shadowfax

hah, i doubt it. it would be nice to manage that, though. i could get to haul my ass to Oxford for my master's... not that i would want a technology master's from Oxford...

personally, i just want to graduate cum laude at OU with a reasonable average to get into a master's program at a place like Rice, or Cornell, or something... probably won't happen that way, i suppose, but i don't set doable goals, i set really high ones and then only partially live up to them. i can't set reasonable goals, because then i just end up failing miserably and being pathetic.

in another note, today has been a classic reminder of that final scene in amadeus, where soliere (sp?) goes down that hall of beggars and says "i absolve you of mediocrity, i absolve you of mediocrity..." funny stuff.

11. job macrumors 68040

job

I think it's 8 with an average of 4.5. I've taken 5 and have received 5s on all of them. I'll be taking 5 more next year so we'll see how it goes. There are no other stipulations.

Not for me it's not. ;) :D

I just sent out two college apps today.

12. shadowfax thread starter macrumors 603

shadowfax

wait, you're a senior now? i could have sworn you graduated... maybe i am losing my mind. yeah, that must be it.

13. vouder17 macrumors 6502a

vouder17

Well Done

Iam doing IB at the moment ,it is damn hard work,i am in my second term so far(school years are different here, we start in January and finsish in December). What was your essay topic?
    well i still have 1.5 years left before i get to do my exams:eek:
    well once again well done

14. shadowfax thread starter macrumors 603

shadowfax

cool, good luck with that. my extended essay was on Quantum Computers, focusing more on the algorithmic issues than the chemistry of it, though i made small forays into that.

15. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

it's called being a bunch of damn nerds. ;)

16. shadowfax thread starter macrumors 603

shadowfax

... says the green-suited man who's pissing his pants and wishing he had a life...

17. job macrumors 68040

job

I just turned 17 a few weeks ago and I'll be a senior this fall.

I'll still be 17 when I graduate.

18. shadowfax thread starter macrumors 603

shadowfax

heh, i have a few friends who were actually 16 most of their senior year. 2 girls and a guy. the girls turned 17 in like march and april, or something. funny to have to go buy people their tickets to R movies when they're seniors :D

19. job macrumors 68040

job

That would be pretty bad to still be 16 as a senior. I couldn't imagine not driving until your last year in High School.

20. shadowfax thread starter macrumors 603

shadowfax

the guy got a 1991 Lexus sports car, in good condition. the other girls (one got 42 out of a max of 45 on the IB things), neither of them has a license. the one that got a 42 hasn't even been to driving school, and the other has, but she hasn't been behind the wheel, just took the class and the other tests. she probably got high marks on her IB exams too...

21. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Which OU do you plan to attend?

I think that mediocrity is not a word that would ever come to mind in connection with Shadowfax!

22. shadowfax thread starter macrumors 603

shadowfax

I am going to Oklahoma University in Norman, OK (basically OK city).

i guess it's maybe at some level insulting to others to call myself mediocre. it just depends on the crowd. i have been around so many brilliant people. within my program, i was mediocre, is what i mean. not one of the worst kids in IB, but i didn't stand out really. i tend to be like that. like i said, i set high goals for myself because i know i won't meet them, but i still end up where i want to be, more or less.

of course, my comment about mediocrity stems more out of some other stuff that's happened today that's more or less personal, sorry.

23. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

no, i never wish i had a life. then i couldn't be such a bum.

your jealousy of my wet, green trousers is a compliment though, thank you.

ps. i was 17 when i graduated too... late birthdays....

24. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

I was and still am 17...and i just graduated high school... the cool thing about havign a birthday in late august was my advantage at baseball because i had to play in a different age level than my friends every other year because they would all move up ( i think the levels were horse's names mustang pinto and others) so some years I was way better than the average kid and it was great...those were the good years

one of the kids from my school is 16 and he graduated... he skipped one or two grades along the way tho and palced into junior year math freshamn year...he also graduated with liek 5 semesters of calc done, two from AP and the rest from a local community college