iBank vs Money3 vs MoneyDance

Discussion in 'Mac Applications and Mac App Store' started by fcervera, Sep 11, 2010.

1. macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I'm looking for personal budgeting software. I've done several hours worth of research on these three and cant seem to find a clear winner.

Any suggestions? I'm hoping someone has had experience with a couple of these and can point me in the right direction. Thank you!!

2. macrumors member

I use MMEX (Money Manager Ex) from Codelathe

(www.codelathe.com/mmex) and had had no issues with it at all.

Its released under GNU licence as can be used quite simply (as I do) or produce all sorts of reports on the many accounts you can keep a record of.

3. macrumors regular

I've used iBank & MoneyDance, and out of the two I preferred iBank

4. macrumors Core

miles01110

Mint.com

5. macrumors member

Moneydance

I have purchased both iBank and Moneydance. iBank was okay, but reconciling was awkward, in my opinon. I switched to Monedance and found it a little better. One very good thing about Moneydance is that the iPhone app is free AND works very well, while iBank charges $4.99.

Coming from a long history of PCs, there is simply nothing that has yet compared to MS Money. Sadly, MS decided to kill MS Money and is one of the reasons I have switched to MACs.

6. macrumors 603

swiftaw

I'm still running MS Money 2004 through Parallels.

7. macrumors P6

Weaselboy

I like Moneywell. Excellent support from the dev and a iPhone app to go along with it.

8. thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for the input everyone

It looks like I might have found a winner. It's a little on the pricey side but seems to get the job done. It's YNOB.

9. macrumors 6502

TonyK

When I switched nearly 3 years ago, moving from Windows/Quicken to OS X, I had to find a financial program that fit my needs.

After downloading and trying both MoneyDance and iBank, I paid for MoneyDance. Importing my Quicken 10+ year file proved pretty easy and setting up an extension to check some stocks was also pretty easy.

Updates so far have been free and have been very pleased with it.

10. macrumors 6502

I've been using Quicken on a PC for well over 10 years. Just recently made the switch to a Macbook Pro. Love it, but was shocked to find no Quicken for Mac.

My solution? I plan to bootcamp or do parallels for Win 7, but in the meantime, I decided to give mint.com a try. I love it! No reconciling, has a great iPhone app. I like how it consolidates my credit cards and checking account all in one view. Pretty slick interface, nice budgeting. It's free, why don;t you give it a try and see if it could work for you?

The only downside is no online bill pay. But, I can do that through my banks web interface, which is not too bad.

I see no reason to keep using Quicken.

11. macrumors member

stocks & Investments

What do yu use for tracking stocks and investments

12. macrumors 6502

TonyK

MoneyDance has an extension for that. Also iBank released a new version this week.

13. macrumors 6502

I bought ibank last xmas and could never get it to import files from Wells Fargo. I just installed the trial version of the new version and same problem. Totally useless for me.

14. macrumors 68000

richpjr

There is a version for the Mac - Quicken Essentials. It's missing a lot compared to the Windows version, but it is available.