Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lmalave

macrumors 68000
Nov 8, 2002
Chinatown NYC
Sweeeeet! Can't wait for those 0.045 micron chips! I really think IBM + AMD can give Intel a run for their money. And so the new battle lines are drawn:

Linux+OSX / IBM+AMD vs. Windows / Intel

Or basically, WinTel vs. everybody else.

macktheknife

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2002
AMD and another other chipmaker besides Intel will need all the resources they can muster to compete against the behemoth. Intel's current strategy is essentially to outspend, out-research, and out-innovate in hope that its rivals can't catch up. Read the article here.

The Register article doesn't specifically say what AMD and IBM will actually do together, but pooling resources to take on a common foe isn't exactly a bad idea. As for how this will affect Apple, I can only hope this will somehow lead to narrowing PowerPC's performance chasm (it's way too wide to be called a "gap") against vs. the Pentium.

scem0

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2002
back in NYC!
If this will allow apple to close the gap between themselves
and Intel, then yay. Both AMD and IBM are good chip
manufacturers. Together I think they could beat Intel. I
hope they can ;)

Trekkie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2002
Wake Forest, NC
from a manufacturing process, IBM has everyone beat.

They make some chips that no one else in the world can manufacture.

The ones that come to mind are the I/O chip in the profusion chipset from intel. What was funny is it has a big ol' COMPAQ on it, yet IBM was the only company capable of manufacturing it, it was that complex.

AMD has been a big supporter of a lot of IBM technology such as Silicon on Insulator (SOI), Low-k Dialectic, some new stuff like strained silicon too. that's probably why they teamed.

I doubt we're going to see higher end tech like hyper-transport and PowerPC 970 combine. The main announcment was for power saving technologies.

Maybe this could be a new PowerPC chip, but for future powerbooks while the 970 is for the desktops?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.