IBM and UT Austin collaborate for new supercomputer chip

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by G4scott, Aug 29, 2003.

1. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

This is so cool, especially since my CS professor mentioned this a couple of days ago...

Here's the article: http://news.com.com/2100-1006_3-5068435.html

I have some friends in electrical and computer engineering too, and I'd be interested to see what they can learn about the chip once they get up into their graduate courses.

Although it may take some time for this chip to work its way into desktop computers, we may eventually see something from this technology come our way. What also looks very promising is that this thing can pump out 32 billion operations per second at 500mhz. Although it has something like 4 cores, I think that this thing, after a couple of years of development, might find its way into notebooks too. There aren't much details as of now, but if I find out anything, I'll let ya'll know...

So guys, remember that when you have your dual 10 ghz PowerMac that does about 2 teraflops, you can thank IBM, and The University of Texas at Austin.

2. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

Sounds very cool. UT Austin has a lot of great things going on in CS...Are you in CS? If you are, you should try to get in on this research group or another. Even if it is plugging in data, it can often mean your name on a research paper, and that could be a good thing!

Plus, you would have the bragging rights of saying you were part of what made this chip happen. Hey, every part of the process counts!

3. G4scott thread starter macrumors 68020

G4scott

I'm a pre-CS student right now. I've been in classes for 3 days...

But since I'm in the CS department, I'll be able to get news and info about it...

4. G4scott thread starter macrumors 68020

G4scott