Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
IBM officially announced that it is producing the PowerPC 970FX today based on "a new method of manufacturing to make microprocessors that consume less power".

The new manufacturing process for the new chips includes silicon-on-insulator, strained silicon and copper wiring based on a 90nm chip making process. The resulting chip "which can process vast amounts of computer memory compared with a standard 32-bit chip, can either run at faster speeds or use less power".

According to Richard Doherty, research director at Envisioneering, "It's logical that Apple would select the flexibility of this chip for a next-generation notebook computer."

The incorporation of both Silicon-on-insulator and strained silicon gives credence to this early rumor report which claimed that IBM was producing chips using a new SSOI (strained silicon on insulator) manufacturing process. Previous expectations had placed this technology at a later date.

The new chips are already being used in the Xserve G5s. More information should become available at the ISSCC 2004 conference this next week.

jazzkids

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2004
Providence, RI
When I hear "low power", I think laptop. Could this be the much anticipated G5 laptop? If they are developing it now, I can't image that it would be available sooner than the Fall. sigh :-(

Thank goodness Apple is getting rid of the Motorola chips.

Thanks IBM!

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Bring on the G5 PowerBooks, G5 iMacs, and throw in some 3 GHz PowerMacs as well please! Ah, what the hell, be generous, give the eMacs and iBooks G5s as well! What the hell, G5s for all!!!! :cool:

applekid

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2003
Re: IBM Announces New Chip Making Method

Originally posted by Macrumors
According to Richard Doherty, research director at Envisioneering, "It's logical that Apple would select the flexibility of this chip for a next-generation notebook computer."[/B]

Well there we go. We'll have PowerBook G5s soon enough.

It's interesting that my dad heard about this earlier than MacRumors reporting it since he usually doesn't care about what happens to Apple! But ever since the G5s were released, he's been hoping to see a PowerBook G5 soon. Hmmmm, maybe he'll buy me one.

Belly-laughs

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2003
you wish
Wait a minute...

Apple designed and launched the Xserve G5 before the chip was made official, so maybe there really is hope for a G5 PB anytime soon?

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
Hmmm... wonder when we are able to welcome the G5 Xserves.
After that the road is wide open for:
a) High clock speeds PowerMac G5s
b) PowerBook G5
c) iMac G5

WOW... this could be a gr8 year!!!

Photorun

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2003
NYC
Originally posted by ~Shard~
Bring on the G5 PowerBooks, G5 iMacs, and throw in some 3 GHz PowerMacs as well please! Ah, what the hell, be generous, give the eMacs and iBooks G5s as well! What the hell, G5s for all!!!! :cool:

Why not, G5s for the iPod Mini!

JtheLemur

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2002
Re: this is good news....

Originally posted by yoman
these are promising times for apple. It is seeming more possible that SJ's promise of many great things to come this year might be a reality.

The things He has promised will come to pass. Indeed, this is truly God's country.

;)

(sorry i couldnt help it, what's with everyone sounding like Apple is a religion lately? i'm a huge fan of course, but come on... )

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
I think people should not overlook what appears to be a remarkable use of technology in these new chips. The SOI/strained silicon seems to be a big step in actual implementation.

This was targeted in 2005.

arn

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
Originally posted by arn
I think people should not overlook what appears to be a remarkable use of technology in these new chips. The SOI/strained silicon seems to be a big step in actual implementation.

This was targeted in 2005.

arn

Is this implementation the reason why the G5 can make it up to 3 GHz?
Or is this the reason that the G5 can be fitted in a PowerBook.

If this is the reason why the G5 can run at speeds up to 3 GHz, then Steve's 3 GHz -promise "This time next year" was a dangerous one to say the least. Odds were pretty much against it then....
If it is a processor primarily used by Apple for the PowerBook then this is just absolutely gr8! PowerBooks G5 coming before expected!
Talk about something new
;)

ipiloot

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2001
The sweetest thing about this news is that this is news, not rumors.

Intel is starting to run in to some big headaches. They don't have SOI, IBM is not keen on licencing the tech to them and on top of that IBM comes out with strained silicon directly on insulator. I think that the tech will soon be licenced to AMD and nVidia.

Armed with 64bit, SOI and SSDOI IBM and AMD start to be really threatening. The only advantage that Intel has today over AMD is their 300mm wafer. But IBM has that-one too. So, it's really getting interesting.

The fight is going on on the other fronts as well. SCO is starting to lose ground, M$ code leaks in to Internet, IBM is planning their own Blue Linux with good GUI as well as Sun is shining around with their Looking Glass demos. Add here stronger and stronger Linux presense on desktop, possible Linux API-s friendly OSX 10.4 and slowdown of Longhorn, mix, stir and you get very strong alterenate front against both monopolies.

I hope it's not wishful thinking.

Viv

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2003
Normandy, France
ARE YOU READING THIS MOTOROLA?

This is how a real company makes chips! they keep updating them, they keep moving forwards.

For those of you who have forgoten motorola or are to new to know about them, they were the feckless bunch that consigned Apple to the sidelines for years as they could not get their act together and keep upgrading the G3/G4s

Thank god for IBM

Now how soon till we can start the Powerbook G5 rumors?

JW Pepper

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2002
The Trouble is....

The trouble is ...

That Coral have dropped mac support

Palm have dropped mac supporrt

Adobe has dropped Mac support from part of it's range.

Companies like Epson havn't bother to support many of their hardware products under OSX - no OSX drivers.

I have three children at different schools and I am a governor of a fourth and there is no way any of these would go the Mac route, there simply isn't any software available for educational use in GB in accordance withthe sylabilus.

It seems just as Apple have started to produce a really decent product, that works, is virus free, etc etc many software companies have decided that 3% just isn't worth the bother any more. I don't know how Apple can turn this around. It must be so depressing to work at Apple developng these fantastic products that are just dismissed.

Depressing.

Lanbrown

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2003
Originally posted by jazzkids
When I hear "low power", I think laptop. Could this be the much anticipated G5 laptop? If they are developing it now, I can't image that it would be available sooner than the Fall. sigh :-(

Thank goodness Apple is getting rid of the Motorola chips.

Thanks IBM!

90-nm chips have been available since the middle of last year, but just now they are coming to the market. Sample chips is what was available last year, which means low volume. The article says that IBM is producing those chips, which means production pieces, not samples are coming off the line. Apple has had samples for sometime now so that they have already started/finished the design work.

a17inchFuture

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2004
Miami
So if these chips are already in G5's, then one would assume that Apple has known about the abilities of these chips for a while. One might also assuem that if they did, they have had G5 PB plans for it.

Please, let there be some confirmed news about PB's soon.

ipiloot

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2001
Re: The Trouble is....

Originally posted by JW Pepper
The trouble is ...

Companies like Epson havn't bother to support many of their hardware products under OSX - no OSX drivers.

Depressing.

Khmm. Not that big deal as it seems.

If you mean Coral chemical (http://www.coral.com - then i don't see a major problem here ;) ). If you mean canadian software company Corel - maker of Corel Draw, than keep in mind that Corel Draw didn't get a stron hold on mac market anyway. Most of the designers on macs use either illustrator or freehand.

Palm is not a big problem as well because there's very high possibility that necessary support will be built in to the iSync.

Adobe dropped Mac support on applications where it's beaten on Mac market. Notably Premiere, which is lagging behind Final Cut.

the printer driver problem is a problem of course.

iggyb

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2003
Colorado
Re: The Trouble is....

Originally posted by JW Pepper
The trouble is ...

I have three children at different schools and I am a governor of a fourth and there is no way any of these would go the Mac route, there simply isn't any software available for educational use in GB in accordance withthe sylabilus.

It seems just as Apple have started to produce a really decent product, that works, is virus free, etc etc many software companies have decided that 3% just isn't worth the bother any more. I don't know how Apple can turn this around. It must be so depressing to work at Apple developng these fantastic products that are just dismissed.

Depressing.

Yes, it is. Marketshare is pathetically low, and that drives software developers away. However, I'm still hoping that things are on the upswing for the Mac (hopeless optimism? we'll see).

Once the G5 is pervasive in other products (notably the PowerBooks), there might be some turnaround coming.

Keeping my fingers crossed....

mum

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2002
Re: Re: The Trouble is....

Originally posted by ipiloot
Most of the designers on macs use either illustrator or freehand.

The good ones, anyway.

Viv

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2003
Normandy, France
Re: Re: The Trouble is....

Originally posted by ipiloot
Khmm. Not that big deal as it seems.

If you mean Coral chemical (http://www.coral.com - then i don't see a major problem here ;) ). If you mean canadian software company Corel - maker of Corel Draw, than keep in mind that Corel Draw didn't get a stron hold on mac market anyway. Most of the designers on macs use either illustrator or freehand.

Palm is not a big problem as well because there's very high possibility that necessary support will be built in to the iSync.

Adobe dropped Mac support on applications where it's beaten on Mac market. Notably Premiere, which is lagging behind Final Cut.

the printer driver problem is a problem of course.

Most of the Epsom printers are supported except for postscript printing and that was always an arse with Epsom any way.

And the cure for that is to use ghostwriter and ghostprint, works a treat even from apllications like architects cad design.

Viv

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.