IBM confirms 90 nm yield issues

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by klaus, Apr 16, 2004.

1. klaus macrumors 6502a

klaus

In a conference call, IBM confirmed that they are having difficulties with the yields for the 90 nm processor technology.

This is causing a delay for several demanding companies, including Apple, for its Xserve's (and probably new powermacs as well)

source -> free registration required

Klaus

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

The rest of the discussions are somewhere aroung page 60 on at ARS -- with the more recent news on page 61.

3. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Here we go again, so i guess this means a year of no G5 progress just like we had with Moto who by the way just had another year of motostagnation. Apple scratches its head and says why are we loosing more and more market in a growing economy. They should have went with AMD and or Intel. Chip makers that can make chips, that can advance chips. God this sucks.

4. MorganX macrumors 6502a

MorganX

Keep in mind, Intel may not be having yield problems, but they're definitely having power consumption (leakage) problems with their 90nm process as well.

5. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

So I guess this suggests no high end 90nm speeds anytime soon, but what about sub 2GHz 90nm for the PBs?

6. Makosuke macrumors 603

Ok, I'd like those few people who seemed to think the lack of Power Mac and G5 Powerbook updates were some sort of personal insult, just because Apple hates its own customers, to apologize now. You can complain that Apple may have backed the wrong horse, but it's not like Apple can control what IBM does wrong, and this is no doubt where the supply problem is coming from.

Although I really don't think this is in the same league as Motorola. There's a difference between poorer-than-expected yields, and just not doing any significant new development on a promising chip line (not to mention reducing production capacity).

I'd like to point out that Intel hasn't exactly been doing wonders with their architecture recently, either--when was the last big P4 boost you remember? 3.0 to 3.2GHz? 3.2 to 3.4? Not what I'd call impressive.

AMD does seem to be doing better, but it'll be interesting to see how fast the G5 scales once IBM gets the glitches worked out. Don't forget that they've got Microsoft waiting as a customer, too!

7. benixau macrumors 65816

benixau

The irony in this is KILLING ME.
    MS wants a chip that apple helped design.
    BTW - sony + nintendo are all interested in it too.

8. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

Dude, you make me so sick... you don't even know what youre talking about half the time. IBM makes AMD's chips.

9. JamesDPS macrumors regular

Wow DHM must really hate life... so much negativity here all the time; isn't there some kind of intelrumors.com or somewhere that would be more uplifting for him? Or maybe zoloft would help...