IBM Delivering 90nm Chips?

Discussion in 'MacRumors News Discussion (archive)' started by MacRumors, Feb 11, 2004.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

According to this Electronics Weekly article, IBM is about to begin delivering 90nm chips to Apple:

Unclear is the significance of the "SOC" -- whether this represents any new information, or somehow simply refers to the 970 chip is not completely clear.

The Xserve G5s utilize the 90nm PowerPC 970 and is scheduled to begin shipment in February.

2. macrumors 6502a

yoman

3. macrumors 6502a

jbrown

90's

are these different to the ones in the xserves??

suitable for Powerbooks??

4. dho
    macrumors 6502

I sure hope so, because we arent #1 anymore

5. macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

6. macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    new powermacs = price drops woo hoooo dual 2 gigs wont be expensive hahahah

7. macrumors 6502a

spencecb

Hopefully PowerMacs are coming....this means we will be able to reclaim our position as the fastest desktop computer in the world again, as the Wintel world hasnt done much lately either!!!

8. macrumors regular

i wish they'd hurry up and put out the dual 2.0-2.4 ghz lineup....so i can buy a dual 3 ghz at the end of the year!

9. arn
    macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

well, it could just mean Xserve G5s... which are shipping this month.

(didn't I say that already?)

arn

10. macrumors 6502a

yoman

Sorry arn,
    it's just that we are desperately searching for any hope, whatsoever, of any upgraded Macs or Books.

11. macrumors member

Power Macs

Assuming this first volume shipment is for the Xserve and Power Macs, how long do you think it will take Apple to get them onto logic boards and in stores? Two weeks, three?

12. macrumors member

latest word on the street is .....

Mac OS 10.3.3 is causing delays for the next revision of the G5 Powermacs . Mac OS 10.3.3 is expected to be released in 2 weeks or less . Once it comes out , the PowerMacs will be updated .

13. macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

If Apple doesn't even have them yet, couldn't it be next month before they made them into machines?

14. macrumors regular

I tried to do research on "SoC" technology - but the results were mind numbing. It seems to have something to do with having a flexible architecture on the chip that allows for one chip to be used to function for many different applications by swapping out the pieces specific to those applications. Most of IBM's examples seemed to be aimed at markets that require many many different designs based on the same chip. Like embedded applications. I couldn't find a mention of the G5 and SoC together.

Note - I have no idea what I am talking about - the stuff was very hard to sift through.

Maybe it is a G5 iTablet with optional G5 iPhone and a G5 iPDA.

or....a dodecahedron shaped G5 iMac.

or...a Dual 4Ghz G6 PowerMac.

or...nothing at all.

15. macrumors regular

u mean this summer?

16. macrumors regular

no, i really do mean end of the year. i don't care when they come out (end of summer or whatever), but i want to buy one for myself for xmas.

17. macrumors regular

Re: latest word on the street is .....

Really? Are you sure? Seems just like two weeks ago you said something else.

18. macrumors regular

oh lol

19. macrumors regular

marco114

XServe G5

Has anyone received their Xserve G5's yet? We ordered 3 and they are saying mid-march.

XSERVE/2GHZ DP/2GB/750/CD/RAID PCI/RA/LL Z08Y03H4X
    On or before 03/22/2004
    3 Dual 2GHz PowerPC G5 065-4573
    2GB DDR400 ECC SDRAM 065-4829
    750GB ADM (3X250GB SERIAL ATA)065-4840
    CD-ROM 065-4577
    HARDWARE RAID PCI CARD 065-4790
    PCI VIDEO CARD065-4845
    Mac OS X Svr,Unlmtd Lic 065-4581
    Country Kit065-4580

Got the 3.5TB XServe raid in a couple of days ago... schweet! But, it's taking forever to format. :(

20. macrumors regular

Though it doesn't really qualify as an SOC, I'd nonetheless assume that (if true) this refers to Apple's system controller chip. This would be a prerequisite to shipping Xserves, and introducing all the other potential product updates based on the 90nm G5's.

So the clock is ticking. I'd expect new Macs in about 4-5 weeks. Dunno if Apple will pre-announce or not; I'd guess not for the PowerMacs.

21. macrumors regular

SOC

SOC wasnt designed for desktops, it was designed for more compact and portable machines.

Whats the point in having a system-on-a-chip in something as large and static as a powermac? none.

I would be very surprised if it did end up in a powermac, and if it was a 970 based SOC. There was news about a PPC750-based SOC a while back that they were developing, but to go back to the 750 is also pretty unlikely.

SOC was being developed for compact machines.
    So, Laptop? possibly, though i still think apple would rather wait for a regular 970 based powerbook.
    iMac? more likely, needs to be compact, and the range needs updating badly.

Im feeling ambitious though, so i would put my money on an anniversary mac of some sort. Its hard to imagine, but still more likely than putting an SOC in a powermac.

22. macrumors 6502

Re: latest word on the street is .....

What makes you think that? What special hardware besides speedbumped 970's would the next G5 have that would require the 10.3.3 update?

I remember people saying something similar before the first G5's where introduced. They said it would require Panther or that it would require a 64-bit OS. Well we know now that both weren't the case. I think a slightly patched 10.3.2 for any new drivers would do just fine.

23. macrumors newbie

SoC

Couldn't this be a typo? It makes more sense as 90nm SoI (Silicon on Insulator) chips.....

24. macrumors 65816

Photorun

It's all nice but when the hell are new displays coming?!?

25. macrumors newbie

Re: SOC

remember the xserve g5? that would complete the equation.