Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
Re: what about the Xserve

Originally posted by zulgand04
Everyone is talking about how Apple should put the new IBM chips in the PowerMacs but has anyone thought about the Xserve. Now would't it make sense for Apple to put this awsome chip in there servers before the powermacs. I mean it kinda is common sense, their not gonna put a IBM chip in a powermac and forget about there server hardware. So you never know Apple may put new chip in the Xserve before july and then in september put them in the powermacs.

just my theory

oky im not the only one with the theory
This is a very good theory and I think thats what they might do,bump the powermacs with the 7457 and put the 970 in the xserves before filtering down to the powermacs. I wonder what the cost will be on these new chips because that will determine what apple will do with them dont you think!

nighthawk

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2003
Because the sales on the Xserve are so low, they might just do that at the next revision. IBM has had engineering samples since Oct 2002, and it may be possible for Apple to announce the new Xserve with 970 chips in about a month or so... with shipping 4 to 6 weeks later.

If I remember right, only 8000 Xserves were sold last quarter. That was out of about 750,000 macs sold.

ffakr

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2002
Chicago
Originally posted by barkmonster

NO DDR on the 7457!!! (seriously, I read it in a Motorola PDF last year)

The G4 chip that's going to use DDR is only a proposed design and doesn't have a release date or even a name/product number. The 7457 L is going to be out Q2 '03 and scale up to 1.3Ghz. That is the only new version of the G4 with a definate release date that was featured in the document "PPCSALESFACT.PDF" available online sometime last year. After the L version comes the P version that can scale to 2Ghz+ but that still uses the 200Mhz bus and doesn't use DDR.

Moto also released a road map late last year that indicated two 7457 models were in the pipe. The first didn't have bus specifications in the roadmap, but the 7457 variant due later this year specifically mentioned a DDR memory controller on the actual processor die.

It is fair to say that Motorola hasn't specifically stated that the 7457 will support a DDR bus, but if the 7457+ (or what ever they called it) has an on chip DDR controller, it's likely DDR support (off chip) will be introduced in the 7457 family.

I simply can't believe that a company... even Motorola.. would release a redesigned processor in 2003 without a DDR memory bus. This type of support is important to Motorola not only for Mac sales, but also for the market they REALLY care about.. high bandwidth embedded router applications.

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
Originally posted by ffakr

Moto also released a road map late last year that indicated two 7457 models were in the pipe. The first didn't have bus specifications in the roadmap, but the 7457 variant due later this year specifically mentioned a DDR memory controller on the actual processor die.

It is fair to say that Motorola hasn't specifically stated that the 7457 will support a DDR bus, but if the 7457+ (or what ever they called it) has an on chip DDR controller, it's likely DDR support (off chip) will be introduced in the 7457 family.

I simply can't believe that a company... even Motorola.. would release a redesigned processor in 2003 without a DDR memory bus. This type of support is important to Motorola not only for Mac sales, but also for the market they REALLY care about.. high bandwidth embedded router applications.
When it comes to motorola and their cpu history doing almost nothing is what i would believe!

barkmonster

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2001
Lancashire
I've been searching the motorola site for a link to a PowerPC Roadmap, I've had no luck finding one but it did give this tip on one of search result pages that you might find funny :

Tip: Separate unrelated proper names with a comma.

Example: Bill Gates, Steve Jobs

Someone at Motorola obviously has a sense of humour :D

Does anyone know how to find the roadmap, it used to be easy to find from the PowerPC ISA part of their site ?

primalman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
at the end of the hall
roadmap

I've been searching the motorola site for a link to a PowerPC Roadmap, I've had no luck finding one but it did give this tip on one of search result pages that you might find funny :

Does anyone know how to find the roadmap, it used to be easy to find from the PowerPC ISA part of their site ?

All I could find...

http://e-www.motorola.com/webapp/sps/site/overview.jsp?nodeId=03M943030450467M983989030230

primalman

MacKid

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2003
Trust me. . .

It's there. . .I found it once. . .Then threw it in the trash. The plans for the G5 are very vague, I remember.

barkmonster

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2001
Lancashire
I know about the 2001 PDF, it's very old and doesn't even mention the 7457 chips. I'm on about the one mentioned here :

I don't know where the roadmap above is supposed to be but I'm guessing it's one of 3 things :

1. The same PDF I've got that was dated 26/9/02, misinterpreted.

2. Fiction.

3. Being pulled off the motorola site because it shouldn't have been there.

The PDF I'm refering to is on the motorola site, Here, unless it's being pulled.

The original Accelerate Your Mac! article linking to the PDF with a brief write up is Here.

Here's 2 screen shots from the PDF, sorry about the quality, it's shrunk down so I don't bug modem users too much. The first one is the roadmap, clearly showing the DDR version is no more than an idea they're kicking around and it's not even being tested yet. The one below that is a section of the roadmap from a few pages down where it shows dates, bus speeds, clockspeeds etc... It also includes some info on current 74xx based chips for comparison.

Attachments

• roadmapinfo.gif
    roadmapinfo.gif
    41.1 KB · Views: 344

MacKid

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2003
Direct from Motorola. . .

Here is the latest roadmap.

Attachments

• ppcrmap.jpg
    ppcrmap.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 308

technocoy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2002
Raleigh, NC
power pc

guys, i dont know what other machines will be running, but i will tell you something from apple this year will have the new IBM chip... i've said it before and i'm saying it again... I KNOW IT WILL BE IN AN APPLE MACHINE. Desktop, or server i couldn't tell you, but the deal is done, and the new IBM powerPC will be used by apple. This is what i know, now, when it comes to the AMD rumors, i don't know... maybe apple's got something up their sleeve that is going to blow us all away... steve did say that it was going to be an amazing year from apple!!

trust me guys,
technocoy:D

MacKid

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2003
Re: power pc

Originally posted by technocoy
guys, i dont know what other machines will be running, but i will tell you something from apple this year will have the new IBM chip... i've said it before and i'm saying it again... I KNOW IT WILL BE IN AN APPLE MACHINE. Desktop, or server i couldn't tell you, but the deal is done, and the new IBM powerPC will be used by apple. This is what i know, now, when it comes to the AMD rumors, i don't know... maybe apple's got something up their sleeve that is going to blow us all away... steve did say that it was going to be an amazing year from apple!!

trust me guys,
technocoy:D

I think we've pretty much all decided/agreed on that. . .:rolleyes:

ffakr

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2002
Chicago

1. The same PDF I've got that was dated 26/9/02, misinterpreted.

2. Fiction.
Fiction? I say I've seen it and you say fiction?
I'm hurt, nay insulted.

The Moto processor road map WAS linked in this Architosh article.... http://www.architosh.com/news/2002-10/2002c-1023-mcp7457-rm1.phtml
The linked roadmap indicated two 7457 processors, the 7457 and the 7457-RM. The roadmap indicated that the RM would have an on chip DDR memory controller, but there was no indication what type of bus the 7457 would support. Architosh believed this was an indication that DDR support would emerge with the 7457-RM, but I believe that if you go by that roadmap, it is equally as likely that DDR support will be rolled out with the 7457 family and the controller will move to the die with the RM version (late this year).

3. Being pulled off the motorola site because it shouldn't have been there.
This, at least, seem to be fairly certain. ;-)

ffakr

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2002
Chicago
Re: Re: Re: Re: RE: 64-Bit

Originally posted by ffakr

Yes, it is a posting about a possible release of a dual opteron server. The subject ends with Feburary?
Yes, it could happen by Feburary but I want to point out a few things....

Ahem...
Feburary?

Just saw this...
An article a few days ago regarding how AMD still hasn't announced a release date for the Athlon 64:
http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,3973,851347,00.asp

and this...
A story on Tom's hardware... linking eWeek...
"Chip maker Advanced Micro Devices Inc. will release its long-awaited Opteron 64-bit processor at an event April 22 in New York City. "

Guess that maybe the question mark behind Feburary in that article should have been larger.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.