IBM knowing about cancerous work place

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by 1macker1, Dec 9, 2003.

1. kaosfere macrumors member

Gulp. I think I'll go get that lump checked out now...

Robert Jones, IBM Austin

2. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

yeah, this broke a while ago, i remember reading about it somewhere. i think IBM is going to be paying big for this, especially if they can show prior knowledge of the problems.

their accountants should be getting out those "To The Estate of __" stamps out for the checks...

what the hell were they thinking? surely it's possible to have clean rooms without killing people...

pnw

3. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Of Coarse IBM knew... come on, it was pretty obvious.

I knew, anyone who worked at the plant who felts it in their lungs every day ...

Just very sad.:(

4. howard macrumors 68020

howard

its almost like a lot of people see "ibm" (or any big company for that matter) as and actual living breathing thing. but its all just people there making the desicions, which means if they did know about it that there were people who know workers could get cancer and just didn't do anything abou it. man...how could you do that? you'd think that they would say something you know? somebody would.

5. cubist macrumors 68020

Hold on here, this is one of those "post hoc ergo propter hoc" things. Just because X% of a group got certain cancers in a higher percentage than the normal population is no proof that one aspect of the lives of those people is responsible. Something else could be causing it, or it could be a statistical fluke.

This is just lawyers scenting blood.

6. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

7. MacAficionado macrumors 6502

I just saw the piece on 60 Minutes!

That was pretty fsck up. Too many people have died or suffered a lot producing PPC.

As much as I love the technology, it pisses me off to see these corporate azzholes disregarding human life in order to make a buck.