IBM makes play for 'next-generation Pixar'

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Jul 24, 2003.

1. macrumors bot

2. macrumors 68000

MacFan25

I definitley think there is a market for more computer-generated films. This competition could be good for Pixar - it could make them strive to make even better movies.

3. Administrator emeritus

Mudbug

it would be interesting to see if their render farm is running 970 based machines or not... :)

4. macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

I wonder how this would effect relations between Apple and IBM. Hopefully none.

5. macrumors 6502

That was my big concern too. I want to keep getting good improvement in chips from IBM.

6. Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

CPU power as a utility.....now that's cool. Use their render farm over the internet....

Anyway, I look forward to seeing what happens in their movie. Even the most complex movies still need to have a story, one thing Pixar does right. No matter how good the CG or animation, if the stories not there, it won't hold your attention for long.

D

7. macrumors regular

NOVA, or Northern Virginia to the lay person.
    Grocery store items come to life? Isn't that a little like Toys coming to life? Come up with something original IBM.

8. macrumors 6502a

Jerry Spoon

The reason Pixar's movies are so good is b/c of the storyline. The great animation is a bonus. Hope this new duo can create great story lines along w/ great visuals.

9. macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

Or like Veggietales. I agree forget the techno babble it's about the quality of the movie.