IBM playing follow the leader with Apple

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by AlphaTech, Jul 28, 2002.

1. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Has anyone else seen the new IBM 'real people' tv ads?? They are trying to imitate Apple's switch ads and grab some of the success that Apple has had with them.

Just another instance where the pc world is following Apple's lead.

2. kishba macrumors 6502a

kishba

Re: IBM playing follow the leader with Apple

i saw that commercial today for the first time... the real people were talking about things that were extremely similar to the apple commercials...

i believe my exact reaction was: "wtf. that's just wrong. the music even sucks."

3. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Yeah, I saw 'em too...blatant ripoff.

It's funny how Apple always gets slammed by the PC-freaks for doing something new or different, and then the PC companies always follow suit. Too damn funny.

4. kishba macrumors 6502a

kishba

what was probably the most hilarious part of the commericial was where a "real person" asked about security "because it's a real important issue".... the ibm commecial quickly said "ibm offers several options for security"

what are these options?

windows xp home edition and windows xp pro? i certainly hope that's not what ibm was refering to...

5. AlphaTech thread starter macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Don't forget the one where they mention virus problems... when was the last time you heard of anyone on a Mac getting a virus???

6. kishba macrumors 6502a

kishba

ibm also discussed backup options to protect your data... at the end of the commericial there was a star by that option and at the bottom of the screen it said "via download" or something like that...

that's just incredibly weird.. they touted their "1 touch system restore backup software" as a feature during the commericial and then at the end they reveal it doesn't actually come with the software... what a feature. i bet it's impossible to actually find the software too....

i'm really beginning to think apple needs to market the iapps because they actually COME with the computers... ibm just can't do that i guess

7. jadam macrumors 6502a

jadam

lol, knowing IBM but not having seen that commercial, they were probally talking baout IBM servers not Machines. Remember, IBM works with corporations, thats how they make hundreds of billions of dollars. and IBM doesnt use Windows Anything on there servers, they use either IBM *nix or linux. and ALSO, remember AIM? ehmmm!

8. AlphaTech thread starter macrumors 601

AlphaTech

They have been talking about desktops and laptops, NOT servers or the like... Before you make comments, at least see the ****ing commercial... twit... :rolleyes: :p :D :cool:

9. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

Re: IBM playing follow the leader with Apple

They don't think different:D

BTW, I was listening to a radio station in iTunes until the CD (at th station) started in a loop (jumping, repeating the same thing becaused of a scratch), now I came back one hour later to the same station and the CD still in the same problem:D

10. madamimadam macrumors 65816

madamimadam

Maybe they should cut there loses and just help themselves and Apple and make ads telling everyone to buy iBooks and CRT iMacs
    :)
    LOL

11. LimeiBook86 macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

---sizzle---

Damn IBM...
    They make me so mad...
    Why must they copy Apple?
    Apple doesn't copy IBM...
    So why must they?

This confuses me... :rolleyes:

"The darkside clouds everything..."
    -Master Yoda

I haven't seen the ad yet, is it on the net?

100 posts for me, yes!

12. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

Could someone tape the commercial I have yet to see one. I bet they suck though, dam PC world!

13. King Cobra macrumors 603

See, this is why I'm trying to stay away from commercials and television all together as much as possible, except for HBO and Cinemax... :p :p

I'm most afraid of how the peecee world is going to do a mock up of the Will Ferrel (sp) commercial. :eek: :eek:

First comes the iPod mock-up, then the iMac mock-up (also arguably the 20th Aniv. Mac mock-up), now the advertisement mock-ups.

I'll admit, I haven't seen them, but, as I stated, I'm staying away from TV as much as I can.

I'm sure some of these advertisements have been posted on the web somewhere. I may look for them later.