IBM responds to SCO

Discussion in 'Community' started by Zaid, Jun 17, 2003.

1. Zaid macrumors 6502

For those following the SCO Saga, IBM has released the following press statement

June 16, 2003, Armonk, NY.... Since filing a lawsuit against IBM, SCO has made public statements and accusations about IBM's Unix license and about Linux in an apparent attempt to create fear uncertainty and doubt among IBM's customers and the open source community.

IBM's Unix license is irrevocable, perpetual and fully paid up. It cannot be terminated. This matter will eventually be resolved in the normal legal process.

IBM will continue to ship, support and develop AIX which represents years of IBM innovation, hundreds of millions of dollars of investment and many patents. As always, IBM will stand behind our products and our customers.

# # #

Trink Guarino
    Director, IBM Media Relations

Translation:
    FSCK OFF!

Gotta love it :)

2. Independence macrumors regular

3. Zaid thread starter macrumors 6502

I cant decide which i'd prefer:
    quick and painful
    long and excruciatingly agonising.

Seriously though, SCO is spreading so much FUD that a quick and extremely painful death may be the better option.

4. janey macrumors 603

janey

heh microsoft's supporting sco :rolleyes:

5. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Nah, not as much as you might think. Its in Microsofts best intention to destroy ALL linux, not just one. :(

Yeah well this will take a wwwhhiillee to resolve.

6. janey macrumors 603

janey

by supporting sco, microsoft is trying to destroy as much of linux as it possibly can. by destroying one, you can theoretically destroy all. of course, linus torvalds is a pretty cool guy, i hope he can do something about this before it's too late.

7. beefstu01 macrumors member

Don't you worry about Linux... Microsoft won't be able to destroy it at all. It's gobbling up the server market like crazy, and it's rocking the desktop market too. Didn't Brazil just adopt a mandatory open source software bill? I'll have to dig that article up somewhere on Slashdot, but anyway, it's around and won't go away soon. Plus, if Microsoft found a way to "destroy" Linux, then it'd have to train its sights on the BSD's, and that little devil will run around and poke Microsoft in the ass with his little proddy thingymabbober.

My basic message:: Don't mess with the penguin :)

8. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Roger1

Hmmm. Isn't that line from a Budweiser commercial? Or is that "Beware the penguin?

9. Huked on Fonick macrumors 6502

There was a good article on cnet and SCO actully made alot of good points and turned my mind againt it, they tried to work things out with ibm and ibm told them to ^&%& off and if u try anything we are going to ruin you, so they stuck up for them selves...........they made alot fo good points and said why they where doing it, i wil try to find the aticle....

HukeD

10. FatTony macrumors regular

11. szark macrumors 68030

szark

Some very interesting stuff in those articles, if everything Cringely says is true.

I have to say I myself was wondering about the possibility of BSD being the original source of the "copied" code.