IBM says, "AMD will die in 5 years..."

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by peter2002, Feb 6, 2003.

1. peter2002 macrumors 6502

2. Kid Red macrumors 65816

IBM didn't say your topic quote, it was implied and can be taken out of context as well. IBm is just saying it and Intel will lead the way in 64 bit tech, nothing more. Everything else is filling in the blanks from the reporter.

I jsut hope IBM is ready with a certain 64bit 970 this year :)

3. AmbitiousLemon Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

as the article states the really strange thing about this is ibm has said this even though they are currently partnered with amd.

4. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Yet another sensationalization of the news by Peter2002 - you need to stop putting a spin on these things.

Interesting article, though. And I'm with Kid Red, I don't care as long as something comes our way this year.

And 5 years is an eternity in this business. Who knows what might happen, its too far away to accurately predict any outcome. Someone might develop something that blows all planned 64bit chips out of the water tomorrow and in 2 or 3 years they'll have cornered the market. Unlikely, but not impossible.

It also doesn't mention anything about future plans of AMD to move onto a new chip instead of staying with Opteron.

D

5. peter2002 thread starter macrumors 6502

6. MacCoaster macrumors 6502a

MacCoaster

Washington, DC / Rochester, NY / Lexington, NC
    From the news:
    Yup.

7. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Um...

Amd is gonna hate this because they JUST parterned up with IBM for new processors.

AMD-IBM going to hell?

8. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

AMD has been dead or dying as many times as Apple or [fill in the blank].

Let's see...they survived the Pentium and their own lackluster processor. The Athlon was much better than the Pentium II and Pentium III and made many inroads. Then, Itanium came along to ruin AMD's server possibilities.

Their only serious problem could be Intel's deep pockets when Intel dumps more processors on the market than AMD can afford.

9. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

This is all speculation - what I said before about predicting the future that far in advance carries no weight with me. I don't really care one way or another whether AMD lives or dies, but I like to look at things a little more optimistic than some others.

Its not all doom and gloom, its the future, we won't know what happnes until we get there.

D :D

10. szark macrumors 68030

szark

Maybe IBM doesn't consider AMD's Opteron to be a high-end processor.

Or maybe, IBM is planning to *absorb* AMD... :eek: ;) :D

11. GeneR macrumors 6502a

GeneR

Who cares if we get what WE want?

Not to sound selfish (okay, a bit), but why worry about them when we simply need a faster processor? Things are so fast paced in the tech industry -- 5 years sounds like an eternity in comparison with Apple's more pressing need for a faster chip...

hmmm...:D