IBM talks about UNIX permissions

Discussion in 'macOS' started by bousozoku, Oct 23, 2006.

1. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

It might be useful to see how IBM views permissions since they're one of the bigger sellers of large UNIX systems and software. They have a whole series of articles but the permissions article is here.

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Hmm UID 501, huh? :cool: :D

I didn't know that Linux boxes (which I assume he's using) started their UIDs there as well.

EDIT: I should note, this is a pretty good article for those that know nothing (or next to nothing) about how UNIX-based permissions work. For those who are familiar or familiar++.. this article contains nothing new for you.

3. bousozoku thread starter Moderator emeritus

Hopefully.

As I said, there are other articles on a variety of subjects.

4. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Indeed! :)

I should also note, that for the uninitiated, this is a pretty well written article on permissions. One that I will undoubted want to link in the future when someone asks a question about permissions, but won't be able to remember what the link was, and then have to smash my head against the wall trying to search MR for this post and your link, Zoko. :)

5. bousozoku thread starter Moderator emeritus

Search IBM Developerworks. That's where it's located and they have many, many good things there. The hard link will probably go away at some time because it's using a specific server URL.

6. SC68Cal macrumors 68000

Already downloaded the whole series. Going to read it over Thanksgiving probably

7. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

I'm such a newb when it comes to Unix, but this is very interesting. I'm starting to understand it more and may read when I have more time.

This is easy to understand, from the article:

"While a relatively simple concept, strong ownership rights and per-user provisioning are two features that make UNIX far more secure than, say, Microsoft® Windows®."

hee hee :D

8. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow