Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adam9c1

macrumors 68000
May 2, 2012
Chicagoland
It's such a cluster fask I don't know what to think.
It can go really well for both companies or really bad for IBM.

What I totally absolutely don't understand is how IBM sales people can pitch in sales and say oh yeah I'm running on os x.

ElectronGuru

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2013
Oregon, USA
First impression: the improbable really is possible
Second impression: this will go in waves, the first purchase than the second purchase then each year after that. But IBM works as consultants and software vendors for companies all over. If the stuff they build is Mac-based, those other companies will be in line to change to Mac as well
Third impression: The iOS halo continues to glow. Apple may yet take over the world.

Reactions: MrUNIMOG

the-msa

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2013
Plus, I bet the company culture and culture of employees would be better at Company A that used Macs.
working in a company that uses 100% macs, i can assure you: the asshattery about google/microsoft is bad here. not too nice of a culture.

Reactions: weespeed

greenstumps

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2015
I hope Apple put touch screens on their Laptops and a 360 hinge, it's just a feature I cannot live without on a Laptop...

Also you need upgradable ram, Storage and you need to be able to change the battery. If you cannot do any of that stuff, your Laptop only has like a 2 year life before either something goes wrong with it or you outgrow it.

MacOG728893

macrumors 68000
Sep 10, 2010
Orange County CA
I think if any Windows laptops are worth buying, they are ThinkPads. I have two of them. One bought in 2008 and one in 2013. Both are rock solid.

I only own Macs currently, but my girlfriends father owns a Thinkpad and that thing is built like a tank.

Somone could definitely argue it's not the most aesthetically pleasing unit, but to say they're garbage is absurd.

I agree with you, their pretty solid machines. If I owned an enterprise I'd probably distribute Thinkpads over MacBook airs lol.

Reactions: enthusiastic

You are the One

macrumors 6502a
Dec 25, 2014
In the present
It makes sense. This will become a trend. The TCO is very likely lower in an Apple based client infrastructure. E.g. the time workers at large corporations sit around waiting for their win-clients to be patched is substantial.

MacOG728893

macrumors 68000
Sep 10, 2010
Orange County CA
are people still using desktop apps in 2015 at work, besides Office and maybe a few legacy apps? Many line of business apps have converted to web applications, and new apps are being built as web apps. Why? Because they run on anything.

Operating system wars are over in the Enterprise, for desktops. The web won.

I wouldn't jump on this wagon just yet. Web apps are no where near as stable or effectient as dedicated apps. Maybe in 10 years when everyone is running on Gigabit fiber and HTML5 is perfected across all platforms.

Reactions: FormerNavalPers

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
I could easily see some old school PC fanboys going harakiri over this news.

Why? Most of them will still be running Windows to do their job via bootcamp or VM. As an ex-IBM'er, this doesn't surprise me at all. It's just hardware that capable of running whatever OS people want. Not really a big deal.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
I know the reality of this is more complicated. But did anybody else who grew up in the 1980s just read this like it said, "Coke to now sell 200,000 containers of Pepsi products annually in its employee lounges?"

Reactions: FormerNavalPers

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
I could easily see some old school PC fanboys going harakiri over this news.

PC fanboys do not buy IBM laptops . I doubt they would care at all.

Apple has awesome laptops, this is a smart move.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
If I was offered jobs at Company A that used Macs, and Company B that used Windows; the salary was the similar, similar benefits, the commute was the approximately same, the job description was approximately the same, the company size was approximately same, and the leadership style was approximately the same, I would choose Company A that used Macs.

Even if the difference seems silly, the computer I stare at for 8+ hrs/day is as important as the comfort of my shoes and the comfort of my mattress - the other things I use for 8+ hrs/day.

Plus, I bet the company culture and culture of employees would be better at Company A that used Macs.

Sorry but people who I have met who thought they were better/superior cause of the brand of computer they used were the biggest tools. In a business enviroment, it's a tool, that's all, nothing at all to do with the culture of the company .

I use both a MBP and Lenovo at work, both crash, and have their pros and cons. Neither makes my day to day job sooooo much easier.

vladi

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2010
If I was offered jobs at Company A that used Macs, and Company B that used Windows; the salary was the similar, similar benefits, the commute was the approximately same, the job description was approximately the same, the company size was approximately same, and the leadership style was approximately the same, I would choose Company A that used Macs.

Even if the difference seems silly, the computer I stare at for 8+ hrs/day is as important as the comfort of my shoes and the comfort of my mattress - the other things I use for 8+ hrs/day.

Oh gosh!! ...

Its not about the Mac or Win its about the workflow in the environment. If workflow/pipeline is broken or illogical no matter what PC you use you are going to have headache. Its about getting the work down and done and culture of an environment doesn't depend on Mac or Windows but rather on efficiency setup and truly having a drive to get something done or in another words having a clear vision. Most big companies lack the clear vision within departments as they are easily lost in sea of partitioned projects that no one knows what is the project all about or its priority so they cant invest themselves emotionally. That equally happens in Microsoft's and Apple's work environments, yes Im talking about real job positions at those companies. There are whole departments at MS, Apple, Intel that have no clue what they are working on and most of the job positions are like that, get the spec sheet done take the paycheck and go home (by our shuttle). It gets boring really fast.

When it come to actual OSes I've seen bank employees on ten year old laptops with Windows XP and I don't have a clue how they get the job done. And I've seen design teams working on ten year old Mac towers running latest OSX slugging like snail and on top of that they try to get something rendered. I've also seen environments with brand new iMacs that try to do 3D modeling and rendering on them which was quite wtf moment as they spent tone of money on something that doesn't do them any good.

Edgar Spayce

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2015
The last Macbook and Macbook Pro are very bad and they'll heavily regret their decision. But again, that's yet another product for which Apple's competition is even worse.

BuffaloTF

macrumors 68000
Jun 10, 2008
I bet if they offered a similar option on Lotus Notes or Outlook, 100% would switch to Outlook...

That's my current work laptop... Until they built an app to adjust sensitivity I had a piece of a cardboard taped over top of the touchpad and it still worked... And about a month of accidentally highlighting everything and deleting it before taking that step.

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
Big mistake. When they realize what a CPU-clogging clusterfrack OS X has become they'll go running back to Windows.
I’m not so sure that’s warranted. Windows may be required for whatever software they have but CPU-clogging clusterfrack?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.