IBM to show 2.5GHz G5 next week

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by nicely, Feb 15, 2004.

1. nicely macrumors member

At the International Solid State Circuits Conference next week, which runs from Feb. 15-19...

"IBM, meanwhile, will provide details on a Power5 server chip that runs at speeds higher than 1.5GHz, and on a 2.5GHz PowerPC processor, a faster version of the chip currently found in machines from Apple Computer."

here's the link at c/net (news.com)

I hope we'll see those in Power Macs next week too. My credit card is ready.

2. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

The G5 is based on the Power 4 not the Power 5. Different Chip.

3. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

Huh?

Maybe that's because they are referring to two different chips? They are going to show the power 5. They are *also* going to show the 970FX. Nothing implies that the two chips are related, other than they both come from IBM.

4. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

Re: Huh?

I don't doubt the fact that they will show the 970FX, but this article doesn't mention that chip, and the original poster made it sound like the G5 uses a Power 5.

5. nicely thread starter macrumors member

The article is talking about the Power5 and the 970FX

The article does mention the 970...

"IBM, meanwhile, will provide details on a Power5 server chip that runs at speeds higher than 1.5GHz, and on a 2.5GHz PowerPC processor, a faster version of the chip currently found in machines from Apple Computer" (the 970).

I quoted the entire sentence. IBM is providing details on the Power5 as well, but as daveL said, the two chips are not related other than they are both from IBM and that they are in the PowerPC family of processors.

6. abhishekit macrumors 65816

abhishekit

and 970FX is gonna kick evryone's ass...:D
    infact prescott is already havin problems..and AMD wont hv 90 nm till soem more time..

7. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

So will there be any real revelations for Apple with the detail in the announcement this week, or do we have the guts of it?

8. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

Re: Re: Huh?

Only if you're not able to understand that ... "jada jada on a something, and on a something else" ... does not refer to the same something :rolleyes: