IBM - Warm fuzzy feeling?

Discussion in 'Community' started by ibjoshua, Sep 14, 2003.

1. ibjoshua macrumors 6502a

ibjoshua

This may sound odd but I'd like to know how people feel about IBM.

Since the 1980s many of us have backed either IBM or Apple but now the tide has turned. For the last eighteen months or so IBM has been taking on the role of the 'knight in shining armour' for both Apple users and proponents of Linux and Open Source software.

During this period my own feelings towards Big Blue have have turned from ambivalence to admiration. I am now just as likely to jump into an argument in defence of the old enemy as I would in defence of Apple.

To summarise, I am currently suffering from a case of the 'warm fuzzies'.

Is this a common feeling amongst other MacRumors visitors?

i_b_joshua

P.S. I will apologise now if my spelling bothers any North American readers. :)

<an edit: some grammar >

2. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

I've always seen IBM to be a pretty solid company as far as reliability and technology goes. I wasn't alive during the whole IBM/Apple/Microsoft emergence/battle but when I was a PC user I always saw IBM as a solid but expensive choice. When I switched to the Mac I saw that IBM parts were used both for processors and hard drives and so I never saw them as an enemy. This new era in processor and technology developement they have with Apple now only served to further solidify this understanding. IBM is seriously huge in the R & D field along with Apple with their creative spark, so any cooperation they have I find to be a perfect match.

3. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

I completely agree with this sentiment. I suppose I've never really "hated" IBM, but they are on the other side of the fence, after all. But now, I'm beginning to really like them. I respect them as a company, and I think that's saying a lot in these times.

4. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Yes

Big Blue

Is still Big Blue.

But it is a nicer shade of blue

5. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

I don't like that shade of blue...give me something a little deeper...perhaps a royal blue or something more subtle like a navy blue.

6. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

compared to apple...well there is no contest there

design wise, they make the ugliest gear i have ever seen

their reliability ratings are up there near that of dell from the pc publications i read and that is good

and i think the prices from what i have seen of their gear has come way down but they still have a ways to go to catch up with the ultra low prices of a compaq or a dell...but they are cheaper than the somewhat overpriced sony gear

as a pc user and pc tech from a few years back, i remember how bad their gear used to be on the consumer end

former ceo lou gerstner was able to bring back big blue to a profitable status by cutting a lot of jobs, and that has to make me think that has to hurt when it comes to a company keeping things nice looking, working well, and being properly supported

if i give apple an A or A-, ibm would get a B- in my book...but that's better than the mid to late 90s (and before) when i would give them a D+:p

7. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

They seem to be getting better in consumer level quality and on the higher end they are top notch. As far as design, I agree, their laptop designs have got to be the most ass ugly systems I've ever seen.

8. tpjunkie macrumors 65816

tpjunkie

Their laptop designs aren't that ugly...and they are quite reliable...our school offers a discount on buying a new one to freshmen each year

9. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

They sure are reliable. My friend has a black and white passive matrix 15 or 20 MHz something or another IBM laptop that runs Windows 3.1. The thing is massive, the battery lasts about 20 minutes, and it's heavy, but it still works. He got it from his dad and it has to be a good decade old or older. It's fun to fire up just to see what was high tech way back when. It really makes you appreciate where we are today when we complain about G5s and gigs of RAM and only have 1100 some pixels for screen resolution. As far as design goes, I dunno, it's really a personal opinion, but I don't really like the Thinkpads no matter how I look at them, and those eraserhead mouse things that are popular with IBM laptops drive me insane.

10. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I've almost always dealt with IBM's bigger machines. Their PC business is a miniscule portion of their income.

Without end, I admire those who have worked on System/38 CPF and OS/400 (AS/400 and iSeries) operating systems. The sheer idea that an operating system could be so helpful is found nowhere else. The man who designed it, exceeded limiting factors on other operating systems because he "didn't know better." :)

IBM's scientists now embody a lot of what I liked about Xerox's PARC but IBM's marketing knows to sell it, not let it sit and gather dust. The scientists at IBM would make a physics professor proud. :)

11. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

ibm never fully saw the potential of the operating system as a product by itself

xerox, with their innovative mouse technology, decided after they came up with the mouse, to kill it...they didn't see the potential...i have an older female friend who spent many years working there and at other places in the silicon valley and it's interesting to hear her take on them...lots of companies work on something first and then the product takes off under the tutelage of another company who sees the "potential"

i remember reading about the ibm scientist who first came up with a processor, in the lab, that reached 1 ghz, but ibm did not really think something so fast would be useful or ever come down in price far enough to be a viable product for the "home industry of PCs"

again, i think apple, as futurists and innovators, kick the butt of any company in the history of computers and computer operating systems

12. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

i won't argue against their gear...it's reliable and tough

but pick up any pc magazine, thumb through the pages, and show me any company that makes an uglier laptop;) :D :p :)

they can't even come up with good names for their portables...apple has the ibook and powerbook, other companies have vaio, inspiron, latitude, presario, satellite, lifebook, picturebook, and other cool names

13. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

I'd say that Big Blue is turning into Big Aquafied Blue.

I'm still hearing rumors of OSX server being ported to IBM Power 4 and Power 5 Servers to make it easier for Companies to manage their systems.

TEG

14. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I agree that Apple is superior in innovation and quality. Now I have much more respect for IBM. Thank you for the G5, looking forward to many years of cooperation ahead!

15. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

ah heck, i still love my ibm made G3 chip in my ibook...at least it's not an intel:)

also, i think the hard drive in my ibook is ibm, or it could be sony, or toshiba from what i have seen in the laptop hard drive world:p

but that being said, i still think the motorola G4, though "hot" by some people's determination, is still an excellent chip for doing graphics with...maybe apple can put more, but slower and quiter fans in their consumer computers which will most likely house the G4 for another year or longer

certainly, it's very possible that the G5 won't come out in a mac laptop for a year...so apple still has to keep a good and lucrative relationship with motorola

it's not an either or thing...as the PC world has shown us (intel, amd, transmeta)...apple can still kick butt, look cool, be the best for music and graphics and education...and still use chips from two companies (ibm and motorola)...and if transmeta wants to do something for us, that would be cool, too:D

actually, i am not really against amd or intel, either...or for apple to port osx to PCs (if that could make apple more money in osx sales than it loses in hardware sales)

apple has the formula for design and reliability already, so they should, for the first time in their history, really clamp down on business issues (like microsoft) and make some money for a change on that level (or like oracle, ibm, cisco, compaq, intel, toshiba, dell, etc)...if anyone deserves a bigger market share and a bigger bank account, it's apple...and yes, a focus on business might decrease quality and innovation for a short time, but apple can afford it...they are light years ahead of the beige box (or now black/grey box) PC world of interchangeable, unimaginative, and unremarkable gear

i better shut up before someone flames me for wanting apple to have...gasp...some extra, evil american dollars...oh, the corruption, the sellout, the shame, the compromise:p

16. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

ok, that was a rant, and now i am double posting..he he

but really, i am non materialistic and a member of the liberal christian left (oops, political thread)

...but few here remember the days when apple's arch enemy was ibm, not microsoft or dell

the famous 1984 commercial played during the superbowl was referring to ibm as the big, totalitarian "giant" of the computer world, not microsoft as many people believe the commercial is aimed at

17. Independence macrumors regular

i own an IBM Thinkpad 755CE. it'll celebrate its 10th birthday in 2004. it still works great too. :)

its Intel 486 DX4 100mhz processor is enough to run a stripped down version of Windows 98se and play Duke Nukem 3D. Photoshop slows it to a crawl though. :D

18. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

and those were the worst years in ibm's recent history when it came to reliability...but it just goes to show that even in its worst, and being the least reliable major pc maker of the mid 90s, there are still computers big blue made that made it to the ten year mark!

i am sure there are a lot of macs less than ten years old which have long bit the dust

my 1996 mac clone still works but is not booted up for use right now...as is my PC from the same era...there is just not too much i can do with those machines these days and it's kind of a shame since they both still work just fine

...blazing at an incredible 185 mhz and 150 mhz, respectively...using os 8.1 and windows nt 4.0 server

19. Independence macrumors regular

hmm... i'd like to find a copy of NT 4 for the Thinkpad. Windows 3.11 for Workgroups is archaic at best and we all know the story with Windows 95.

20. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

i think ms will still sell you that if you want

windows 95, in it's latest usb comaptible form, was passable

of course, the original windows 95 incarnation was so bad i think it lost ms hundreds of millions of dollars in under achieved sales...i don't think this ms.blaster thing and windows xp has been really all that great for ms either

it just goes to show that even though osx took a little too long to get accepted, it wassn't full of holes or bugs like that product from that company in redmond, WA:p

21. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

how's this for a warm fuzzy feeling:

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/09/15/opinion/15HERB.html

22. ibjoshua thread starter macrumors 6502a

ibjoshua

Oh ****. I guess every company has their skeletons in the closet.

Maybe we shouldn't be in too much of a hurry to run out and buy a new computer that we don't really need yet.

i_b_joshua

23. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

chromium 6, lead, mercury, etc

unfortunately, until we come up with other technology, these boards/electronics will need these chemicals

24. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

so then the company should face the facts and protect their workers properly. from what i've seen, oftentimes these factory workers aren't terribly educated, and don't have any clue what bad effects the chemicals they are working with could be having on them.... educate them at the very least. that's the company's responsibility.

25. vollspacken macrumors 65816

vollspacken

I get a warm and fuzzy feeling when putting my Thinkpad 240x next to my tiBook - what a cute couple they are :)

the only thing I need is a Wi-Fi card for the IBM so they can talk to each others without the cable...

I always liked IBM laptops, the only problem is the operating system... but you could still put SUSE 8 on there and the problem would be more or less solved...

vSpacken