IBM's CELL Processor: Preview to Greatness?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by simie, Feb 15, 2005.

1. simie macrumors 6502a

simie

2. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

3. simie thread starter macrumors 6502a

simie

It must be a fairly cheap cpu to produce because gamers won't pay the sort of money mac users pay for G5's.

I can't imagine that the Playstation 3 is going be priced above £399 - sorry don't know what that would be in dollars. If it is then you have either got money to throw away (in which case throw in my direction) or you are a very dedicated gamer.

I would have thought that this is a CPU for HDTV - and the like, it would be interesting of it could be implemented inside a computer - I rekon it will be used on graphic cards.

:cool:

4. simie thread starter macrumors 6502a

simie

5. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

The Cell 'hype' seems more and more like the 'Gobi' hype a couple of years ago: the promise of a fantastic fast and cool G3 (the PowerPC 750GX) chip perfect for portables, especially the iBooks, which at the time still were G3. But as the chip took a while, the iBooks instead went G4 (which I actually bought, but that's another story).

Don't get me wrong, the Cell looks to be a fantastic processor, but until I see any real evidence that the next generation Macs actually will be Cell-based (and the article doesn't even speculate into that option) I prefer not to get my hopes too high. Don't feel like another long walk in the desert... ;)

Edit: New information from this thread has gotten my hopes back up... :D

6. simie thread starter macrumors 6502a

simie

This following is under copyright but it does state -The ISSCC 2005 Press Kit is open to the general public.

We are the general public - if you the moderators feel that this link should be removed please remove it.

http://www.isscc.org/isscc/2005/press/

Read the Press Kit

Very interesting

Cell Processor

DUAL-CORE ITDUAL-CORE ITANIUM® Expands level 3 cache to 24MB

3.1 megapixel CCD for mobile phones

FIRST COMMERCIALLYY-VIABLE 2GB DRAM

And the list goes on

article from ISSCC 2005