iBook 1.1 bites the dust.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Chundles, Apr 8, 2006.

1. Chundles macrumors G4

Jul 4, 2005
    Yah, so after nearly a year and a half with iBook 1.0, it blew up it's HDD and had to go in for repairs (out of warranty so we went with a private Mac restorer guy who is a friend of the family, installed a 40GB HDD and it was working brilliantly) after a week there was the dreaded constant beachball and it slowed to a crawl. Disk Utility from the 10.4 DVD showed a HDD that couldn't be repaired so it unmounted the HDD and no more booting. So iBook 1.1 is now back at the "shop" having a good going over.

I think it could be "proper farked" in the sense that logic board or something has gone crack-ka-boom!! and now iBook 1.1 may end up becoming "insert second hand laptop from eBay or somewhere similar here" 1.0 or, as I'm thinking Mac mini Core Duo v1.0.

I can still use my education discount for another few months and really do need a Mac at home for my assignments and stuff. I can't hang around waiting another month or so for a new MacBook (exams are soon) and I could borrow a 15" LCD from home to use. It just doesn't make sense to buy a G4 portable now and the Mac mini would be far more powerful than my iBook and I think I can forego the portablilty. Net cafés allow me to download software updates and burn them to CD, I learn more with hand-written notes and stuff. I just think grabbing a tiny little Intel-based desktop made more sense than buying an iBook in it's last gasps of death.

Currently looking at these specs and price:

Mac mini Core Duo AUD$1445.40
    1GB RAM
    100GB HDD
    External modem (no broadband sucks)
    everything else is stock.

I think the folks could swallow the $1500 for the time being till I can pay them back - no money at the moment, it's really come at a bad time.

It would be sweet to be able to eventually run connected to a big LCD and use Front Row properly, running XP if needed could be a boon for work in the real world too once I graduate, you just can't do that properly on a G4 Mac.

What do you guys think? Sorry about the long post, it's been a while since I was in here.
  2. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Dec 27, 2002
    Location Location Location
    Sorry to say this, but I don't feel bad that your iBook doesn't work. In fact, I'd say you're lucky. It's the perfect excuse to buy a Mac.

*looks at his rev B 12" PowerBook and hope it spontaneously catches on fire*
    *thinks about how cool that would be......and scary*
  3. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

Oct 19, 2004
    Calgary, AB

lol you know I'm stilled pissed that my 4g iPod died and I had to shell out another $400 for a new one. Sure the black video iPod is a lot sexier and cooler, but I would think iPods should last more than a year...then again others would say I shouldn't have drunkenly dropped it on cement so many times.
  4. Chundles thread starter macrumors G4

Jul 4, 2005
    Yeah, I think it's a great excuse to buy a new Mac. The only problem is that to do so now would mean going into debt with my folks - that's something I really, really hate to do but I'm going to have to aren't I?

I just hope they can set aside a decent enough budget (they'll get all the money back of course but in time) so I can build a decent machine. I reee-eally don't want a Core Solo processor or a G4 but can't wait long enough for the MacBook to come out (most likely out of my budget range anyway - I configured a 12" iBook and it came out at around $1700 to $1800 and if the MacBook is more expensive as predicted it would be out of budget). I think I could do away with the 100GB HDD and just go for the 80GB if I can find a decent DVI 17" LCD to go with it.

I'm at the uni labs working on a dual 1.8GHz G5 PowerMac with a 17" ASD and it's a gorgeous display - plenty of room for the stuff I do.
  5. kretzy macrumors 604

Sep 11, 2004
    Canberra, Australia
    This is indeed grave and dire news.

You could always consider this . If you were crazy and had no self respect!:p

I think the Mini sounds like your best bet (as long as the 'rents don't mind). Buying anything G4 is just silly nowadays.

I hope it all works out for ya mate!
  6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    That's crap. I'll think of you as I face Launceston tonight mate.