iBook 1.2ghz vs HP dv1000

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by dwd3885, Dec 10, 2004.

1. dwd3885 macrumors 68020

I want a good notebook for around $1,000. What has scared me away from the dv1000 is the fact that it can be scratched easily, from what I've heard. Also concerned about the build quality. I know the iBook's durability is very good. But I do like the widescreen on the dv1000. The OS doesn't really concern me. Please help me out though. I'm going to buy whichever system with 256RAM and purchaes either 512 or 1GB of RAM separately. I'm not going to game or anything, it's mainly an internet/photo/music laptop for school by the way, so I want something light and durable. THe iBook is a tad bit lighter, I'm just not sure what I'll get. Hard drive will both be 60GB. Again, my only beef with the dv1000 is the customer complaints and scratching/durability. Thanks again

Also, my local campus store has 1ghz G4 12'' iBook w/40GB hard drive and 512b RAM for $899. Is that a better deal than 1.2ghz, 12'' iBook w/60GB hard drive and 256RAM for $1,016. I'd be upgrading the RAM via newegg. I guess I'm asking how much performance boost is it from 1ghz to 1.2?

2. intrepkid21 macrumors regular

In my opinion, the ibook is the best notebook out there in the $1000 range, mac or pc. The only pc laptop I would get is a thinkpad..but of course it runs Windows. If you compare the ibook to pc's of a similar price, it is easy to see how much more you get with the ibook. I would buy online through the store for education and upgrade the hard drive though...maybe add bluetooth

3. dwd3885 thread starter macrumors 68020

so what do you think of that deal i mentioned? is it worth it? or should i spend the extra $$$ for 60gigs?

4. miked33 macrumors newbie

The hp does seem promising, but it kinda seems like a wannabe Mac. Don't get me wrong hp makes good notebooks, many of which (the dv1000 included) seem promising. Hp's are good quality notebooks, of which I'm sure the dv1000 is no exception, but the ibook's white casing can really take a beating. The hp dv1000 seems attractive and well featured for its price (I like the remote), but an ibook comes preloaded with iLife and other stuff which have to be factored into the purchase. As a fellow student I own a Powerbook 15" and am completely satisfied, and a friend in my dorm has an ibook and he also loves it. I truly think that your best bet would be the ibook for the $899, I think the extra 200 bucks for the increase in speed and the decrease in RAM would be better spent on an ipod or an iPaq. As you said "It's mainly an internet/photo/music laptop for school..." clearly that screems Mac.

5. miked33 macrumors newbie

In response to the 40gb or 60gb hard drive, I think youd be better of to go for the 40 then buy an external hard drive of which can store ur music and movies and stuff. You can buy like an 80gb hard drive for like a 150 bucks.

6. dwd3885 thread starter macrumors 68020

do you think the fact that the dv1000 has shared memory and the iBook has Radeon 9200 32mb improves the iBook standings?

7. miked33 macrumors newbie