1. Welcome to the new MacRumors forums. See our announcement and read our FAQ

iBook 1.42ghz or Dell Vostro 1.8Ghz or wait?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by cRuNcHiE, Jun 17, 2008.

1. macrumors 6502a

Im after an really portable laptop, mainly for downloads/browsing.

EEE pc's are too slow, ive seen a 1.42ghz G4 ibook for £340 delivered with 512meg ram,60gb hdd. 2.2kg

but for £389 i can get a Dell Vostro 1310 13" laptop,1.83Ghz Core2Duo, 1Gb ram,160gb HDD. 2.06kg

OR the same dell but with a celeron 540 1.8 ghz for £299 delivered.

I already have a macbook pro and i did have a macbook but i hated its screen.

I could potentially put osx on the dell if i really wanted. I'd prob use ubuntu though.

What should i do? I like the idea of a 12" lappy, wish it was widescreen though, and i THINK it will have 2-finger scroll? something i use ALOT

BUT 1.42ghz G4 just sounds slow and old? Will it crawl using logic as well?

OR should i just wait and see if apple bring out an eee PC contender?

2. macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Confusing questions. If you're using Logic, the Dell isn't even in the mix. You know that, right?

The used iBook G4 is well out of date, under-equipped (512/60) slow and overpriced at over US$650

3. macrumors 6502a

The Dell is quite compatible with osx leopard, and will be moreso with the advent of EFI-X coming out very soon.

http://www.efi-x.com/

4. macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

Hacking a Dell to run Leopard does not, in my book, make it "quite compatible" when all it takes is a software update to break your install. If you intend to run Mac OS X, you need to suck it up and buy a Mac, especially if this is a work machine.
    Any other options I wouldn't recommend discussing on these forums unless you like Wasteland.

5. macrumors 6502a

If you'd bothered to read the link you would see apple updates breaking the install are a thing of the past.

I already have a macbook pro, apple dont sell anything currently that fits this area.

iphone too small/cant do enough. Macbook too big. ibook=about right but old technology

6. macrumors regular

Agreed, you could quite easily brick your pc and void the warranty. Hacking a Pc just doesn't give you that mac feeling. Looking at your shinny macbook is priceless.