iBook 12" Dead Pixels?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by benthad, Aug 15, 2005.

1. benthad macrumors newbie

benthad

Hello

I'm very excited as tomorrow, hopefully, after many months waiting, I will officially be a 'switcher' and the proud owner of a new 12" iBook.

However, I bought my wife an IBM ThinkPad the other month and the screen has a dead pixel - I know it's no big deal, one dead pixel, but I'm just hoping my iBook doesn't have any. Has anybody with a new iBook experienced any dead pixels, and if so is it worth sending it back or just living with it?

Thanks

2. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

Not an iBook, but my 17" PowerBook has one "stuck" pixel. I am hoping it goes away of course, but 1 out of 1.4 million I can live with. :) It's also in the top left hand corner, and you can barely tell it's there. If you have anymore than 2 I would suggest you "do what you can" to swap/exchange it.

3. ohcrap macrumors 6502a

15" PowerBook (again, not an iBook) not a single damn dead pixel. Same with my buddies 12" iBook, so I wouldn't put much thought to it.

4. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

5. rosalindavenue macrumors 6502a

rosalindavenue

This is my first post from my new 12"-- no dead pixels here. I'll post a full review later. :p

6. jeff_siler macrumors 6502

I too am waiting for shipment of my ibook. I have been reluctant in the past to purchase lcd screens and notebooks because of fear of dead pixels. Ive returned a sony psp 6 times to find one without dead pixels (I couldnt so i just didnt buy it).

I'm pretty fed up with the whole process with LCD's. I am so excited about my little ibook that even if it does have 1 dead pixel, i'm not going to let it bother me. It would be such a hassle to replace (i have a built to order machine)

Every lcd manufacturer has dead pixels. Some companies are better at replacing them than others, but all lcd's have problems.

I'm just gonna use the hell of of my ibook for 2 years until i go the apple/intel route.

jeff

7. Chrispy macrumors 68020

Chrispy

I have had two 12" ibooks that were pixel perfect. I have a 14" now with one dead pixel near the top by the clock so it is not a problem what-so-ever. I had many powerbooks with dead pixels in the past but as far as ibooks go, I have been lucky :)

8. VanMac macrumors 6502a

VanMac

New 12" iBook here with no dead pixels at all.

I checked it at store when I purchased, and everything came up clean. Later on at home, it seemed like one went dead, but I lightly pressed screen with finger, and it came on.

9. njmac macrumors 68000

njmac

MacAddict magazine suggests that you gently massage the area where the pixel is and it may go away. Worth a try I guess.

10. mjstew33 macrumors 601

mjstew33

Well my first iBook G4 1.42GHz didn't have one damn dead pixel -- Now I'm sure it does somewhere -- for more info on that look in Macintosh Computers:My BRAND NEW iBook -- It's Gone :(

And the one that came in today, again! NOT ONE DEAD PIXEL :D

I wouldn't be worried about that as 12 out of the 12 laptops my family has had or currently own... not one dead pixel
    and 5 of those are Macs :)

iBook Clamshell Orange 300MHz
    PowerBook G3 233MHz
    PowerBook G3 250MHz
    iBook G4 1.42GHz
    iBook G4 1.42GHz

The rest.. 2 toshibas, 1 IBM, 2 HPs, 1 Dell, 1 eMachine
    Not one dead pixel in any of em :)

11. zeeko macrumors member

i have one dead pixel in my new ibook 12" :(

what is the diff between a dead and stuck pixel?

12. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

To the best of my knowledge, a stuck pixel can be remedies with light rubbing whereas a dead pixel is out to the world.

13. mca2 macrumors newbie

I had i single red "hotpixel" on my new 12" iBook. Not so much of a trouble during normal operation, but watching a dvd with a bright red dot in the black bars is quite distracting to say the least. It was at 1/4 from the right, at 1/5 from the top, and rubbing etc didn't help.

Anyway, i called apple and right away they decided to send me a new one. They picked up the old one for free and the new one is on its way, somewhere between China and here now...

14. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

used two iBooks and neither has a dead pixel. Although YMMV

G3 500MHz Dual USB iBook

G4 1.2GHz iBook (January 2004 update one)

15. benthad thread starter macrumors newbie

benthad

Got it and no dead pixels

Just got, and writing this from my new iBook. It's fantastic. and no dead pixels.

16. njmac macrumors 68000

njmac

17. ohcrap macrumors 6502a

18. jeff_siler macrumors 6502

Just got my 12" BTO ibook g4. No dead pixels. This little guy is amazing.

Jeff

19. gallivant macrumors member

20. xrayzed macrumors member

14-inch iBook, one dead pixel near top right corner. I can live with it.