Ibook 12" or 14"

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by dontpanic, Nov 9, 2004.

1. dontpanic macrumors regular

ok so i have now seen the sizing on both types and still can't make up my mind which one to get, which is the better buy?

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

The 12".

If you need bigger pixels, get the 14", but the 12" is, by far, the better deal. And it's more portable. If the 14" offered more pixels, I'd change my mind, but it doesn't.

Edit: if you need a SuperDrive, you need to get a 14", but why not spend the $$ on an external which will be faster for those few times you burn a DVD from a laptop? The 1.2 vs 1.33 GHz speed is inconsequential, BTW, certainly not worth the price premium.

3. dontpanic thread starter macrumors regular

cool thanks, also is it worth getting the bluetooth or not, is it really that useful?

4. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I'd say it's well worth it. Adding a plug-in USB BT dongle to a laptop is a giant pain and just begs to be broken, BT is being used by more and more devices (phones, PDAs, earpieces, mice, etc.), and the investment is minimal even if you don't ever use it during the time you own the laptop and will add value (or at least incentive to buy) when you sell it. If it was really expensive, I'd argue differently, but it's not too pricey. And if you're going BTO, I'd either bump the HD to 60GB or - if you're handy - add a faster, bigger drive afterward. The safest thing, of course, is to just bump it to 60 GB.

5. panda macrumors regular

agreed

totally agree with jsw on all counts.

12" +the rest is fantastic and really a great buy. :)

6. dontpanic thread starter macrumors regular

thanks appreciate the help ;) :cool:

7. MacNeXT macrumors 6502

Yes, get the 12" with BT, just as I did, it's definately the best buy. As others said, 12" vs 14" is only an issue if you want a superdrive or when you have bad eyes. The resolution is the same, the keyboard size too. It also looks beter IMO, cause there is no empty space at the sides of the keyboard, but that's a small detail.

You'll regret it when you don't get the internal bluetooth option. You can't get that at a later time! Also, don't forget to buy extra memory, but don't buy it at the apple store! 512 should be enough but get 768 when you can afford it.

8. stevehaslip macrumors 6502a

stevehaslip

ditto, 12" and internal bluetooth. I use it to sync my phone all the time, i can put ringtones pics and vids on my puter and i don't have to worry about losing phone numbers because i synced them with address book:D

9. dontpanic thread starter macrumors regular

i would do that but my crappy phone doesn't have bluetooth

10. MacNeXT macrumors 6502

But maybe you get one in the future. And don't forget BT keyboards, mice, printers and in the future possibly other equipment.

11. dontpanic thread starter macrumors regular

anyone know anything else you can use bluetooth for

12. stevehaslip macrumors 6502a

stevehaslip

the bluetooth mice etc are usually hideously expensive from what i've seen. i'm not gonna pay £65 for a mouse! and i'm not gonna pay for a one button apple mouse even if it is wireless!!!