ibook 12" or powerbook 12"

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by mikeyfern, Jun 24, 2004.

1. mikeyfern macrumors member

I'm looking to buy a laptop and I'm trying to decide between a 12" powerbook or a 12" ibook. I want at least a 60 GB hard drive, an AP extreme card, 768 MB of RAM, and applecare.

I priced a PB 12" 1.33 Ghz, 60 GB, combo drive refurb (I'd be upgrading the ram by mail order for about $100) with applecare at about $1794 (with educational discounts and sales tax)

The ibook 12" 1 Ghz through apple costs $1528 when souped up with a 60 GB hard drive, AP extreme card, mail order RAM, and applecare.

So the question is, is the PB worth an extra $266. Will I notice the faster processor, system bus, and RAM? All I can tell from my experience with them is that the screen looks crisper on the PB. I'll probably be using this thing mostly for surfing the web, using MS office, iLife, and maybe some Photoshopping, and (rarely) some FPS gaming.

ANy advice would be appreciated. Please don't tell me to buy the PB 15", I don't want to spend that much, and I'm not too sure about the 14" iBook ($1717 with applecare) either. It seems bulky and the screen resolution is the same than the 12".

Thanks!

2. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

For what you're doing, I dont' think the PowerBook's "power" is a necessity. I have an iBook that I purchased in March (which I happen to be selling) that I am very happy with. I am a Graphic Design major, and I use Photoshop, Illustrator, Quark heavily. I really *could* use the power. The iBook is a great machine, and you wouldn't be disappointed with that over the PB.

I'd be happy to answer any further questions personally!

PS If you're interested in mine, PM me or visit my thread (in my sig)

3. yoda13 macrumors 65816

yoda13

Go with the iBook. You don't need the PB. I am a fan of the case on the PB more than the iBook, but that is a matter of design preference. You may like the iBook better. Regardless, it will more than meet your needs. Enjoy :)

4. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

I'm going to have to disagree. A 1.33 Ghz G4 is not exactly overwhelming power; it's not like getting a dual G5 to check your e mail.

As you noted, the powerbook has faster processor, bus, and RAM, and a higher quality screen. It also has twice the VRAM, DVI out, and Audio line in. I don't know if any of that matters to you, but it's worth noting. Also, did you add bluetooth to the ibook? If not, and if you want it, that's another $50 (bluetooth is great, you should get it whichever way you go).

IMO, you should get the powerbook because you will notice the speed difference between the two, and the PB will be more useful for longer. yes, the ibook will do everything that you want, but the PB will do it faster, and even more importantly, will be the better choice given that future releases of the OS, iapps, and other such things will just want more and more power.

5. ndanimal macrumors newbie

Arrrrrrrrrrrr, matey! Go with the PowerBook. The iBook is a great machine...but the PowerBook is superb. Raw processing power aside, it just feels snappier, and a lot more solid.

6. mac_gal macrumors member

The iBook is the more "rugged" machine. Nonethless, I'd go for the Powerbook. Keyboard feels crisper, seems nicer all around.

It really depends on how willing you are to part with $266.