iBook 12" or Powerbook 15" or Sony Vaio

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by timmyp, Nov 3, 2005.

1. timmyp macrumors newbie

I've been planning on replacing my IBM T30 to iBook 12", powerbook 15" or Sony Vaio S series since graduating from college(about 5-6 months now). Hence I've been reading posts on this thread almost everyday now, but like most anticipated "wanna-be" switchers couldn't make up my mind simply because of the IBM->Intel change next year.

Should I just wait until next year, get an iBook for now then sell it and get the "new" powerbook, get a powerbook and settle with it for a few years, or just go with a Vaio?

Here's what I would do on a Mac laptop:
    1.web programming(Java, PHP, Perl, HTML, XML, eclipse, etc.)
    2.some photo/graphics editing
    3.very little video/audio editing
    4.internet

I would appreciate any advice, like you guys have been helping out others in this forum. Thanks in advance.:)

2. peterparker macrumors regular

peterparker

With that list, I'd have to recommend the 15" PowerBook. My list looks pretty much the same...

3. Graeme Pearce macrumors newbie

Firstly, forget the Intel switch thing. Attend to your immediate requirements.

I use both PCs and Macs (iMac G5 & iBook 12"; HP Pavillion, Toshiba Satelite). When there is a choice I tend to use a Mac so my first recommendation would be to get a Mac rather than a PC. They are simply nicer to use and, provided you don't fill them up with all sorts of unnecessary shareware, they just don't stop.

I can do everything I need on the iBook. It is really small and light and makes a perfect digital briefcase. It has an airport card and I have no trouble connecting to any available network around the world. So, If the screen is big enough, and the hard disk is big enough I'd recommend the iBook.

If you want a bit more speed and screen real estate and something a bit more robust then go for the Powerbook.

Gp

4. anthonys macrumors member

anthonys

I agree, if the screen is big enough and you don't need a power house (doesn't appear like you do) go for the iBook. It will last you a year quite well until you can buy an intel powerbook.

I'd avoid the new 15" powerbook, too many teething problems at the moment. Try picking up an older model if you need the screen real estate when travelling - but if you need power now the PB won't do much more than the iBook, and in that case then go with the VAIO.

5. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

I'd say go with the PB if you're wanting to do a bit of graphics etc. The iBook won't have enough power, and don't even consider the Vaio (it's not a mac :p)

6. timmyp thread starter macrumors newbie

scrapped vaio out

so it's the ultimate decision between 12" ibook and 15" powerbook like everybody else.... I hear a lot of you saying that ibook lacks in power... and I'm assuming that's for video editing / graphic card related tasks, right? how about for programming? I know most programmers go with powerbook... any specific reason why? again, thanks for the advices... :)

7. peterparker macrumors regular

peterparker

I don't have performance opinions at hand, for me it is touch and feel kind of thing. We have 2 iBooks and 3 PowerBooks. The PowerBooks to me are in another class.

8. revisionA macrumors 6502

ibook vs pbook

32mb vram vs 128mb vram

4200rpm HD vs 5400 or 7200 rpm HD

no lit keyboard vs backlight keyboard

white plastic vs aluminum

dim screen vs 5% horizontal line offset bright screen

$

9. VanMac macrumors 6502a

VanMac

I use my iBook for everything you plan to (see sig).

Works great. With expose, and other features I am very productive.

Just upgrade the ram as I did.

10. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

The iBook doesn't lack in power for what you do. I hate when people slag off the iBook due to a lack of power. Over two years ago, I bought a 12" 1GHz Powerbook because the iBooks were only using G3 processors. Fair enough, because it was a wise move. I was told that my 12" PB would be perfect for surfing the net, Word, Excel, and some light photo editing.

My PB still does these things as well as it did 2 years ago, when people were telling me how perfect it was for my situation. How can the new iBook be "too weak" to handle internet and photo editing when my PB was highly recommended for this same purpose 2 years ago? :confused: The iBook is now even FASTER than the PB that I own, so an iBook would be even better.

Go with the iBook. The only reason to get a 15" PB for your needs is due to the resolution and desktop space available to you. I'd get a 15" PB over a 12" iBook for that reason, but that doesn't mean that a 12" iBook isn't powerful enough.

11. revisionA macrumors 6502

See them in person...and then decide.

I only listed the specs to help with the decision.

On a budget, the ibook is way better than a PC lapburner.

12. timmyp thread starter macrumors newbie

Seeing them in person makes the situation even worse. I want both of them!! :p

13. timmyp thread starter macrumors newbie

I thought PBs had 64mb vram... am I wrong? (if 128 vs. 32, i would definitely go for PB)

14. timmyp thread starter macrumors newbie

You mean eclipse, right? Does JVM run smoothly?

15. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

I just feel I have to add something positive about the Sony laptops,
    their screens are phenomenal, better than any other laptop screen I have seen so far, I have not yet had a chance to see the new PB screens so I can't talk about those. I am extremely happy with my 15" PB , but I was happy with my 12" G3 ibook as well. For what the original poster was talking about a doing I would recommend a PB, at least it will be good for a couple of years , I think the iBooks with their 32VRAM are at the end of their useful cycle for more powerful apps. Don't get me wrong I love the iBooks but I feel they need some serious rework done on them to keep them current.

16. andcraig macrumors regular

Laerth may be right about the sony laptops having fantastic screens but they also break horribly easily.
    Everyone i know who's had one has had to send it back several times for numerous repairs. My friend's will work...until you move it. If you even shake the table its on it crashes.

Nice design, gorgeous screen, pretty shoddy workmanship.

17. tuartboy macrumors 6502a

tuartboy

18. Ryan1524 macrumors 65816

Ryan1524

first hand experience with both of them: i do quite a bit of programming for school, and having the larger screen is definitely better. you can see and compare things, have references/notes on the side while coding, etc. i've worked with my dad's 12" iBook and all i can think of was how cramped it was and how dim the screen is compared to my 15" powerbook. and i'm talking about the last generation 15" - with the 1280x854 res. the new one is even better and even more desktop space if you're willing to tolerate the lines (haven't seen these in person) or willing to wait a bit until they sort it out. but either way, get a 15" PB, either the last gen(cheaper too), or the new one. :)

19. anthonys macrumors member

anthonys

You're going to buy out of date technology so just get the cheapest, that way you stand to lose the least when Apple update the line next year.. The iBook is a capable machine, and unless you play games I doubt you'll notice the difference in speed with a powerbook.

20. Deimo macrumors member

Don't get the Sony... Vaio laptops are made with the lowest of build quality standards. My personal experience here: Had my z1a laptop (first centrino laptop from Sony) for a year, and the motherboard blew up on me. To make a long story short, they blamed me for it and wanted to charge $1,400 to repair. Mind you, this was still under the 1 year warranty. I negotiated them down to $400 just because I needed a computer (it's my work pc), but the whole experience left the sourest of tastes in my mouth.

And then to add insult to injury, (i take some responsibility here), I didn't have a backup of my data, and they reformatted the hard drive. What gripes me about this (like i said, I should have done more regular backups) is that sony's ship with 2 logical drives to make it that you can reformat the c: partition and keep all your data safe on d:...the restore cd's even make this the primary option. There was NO need for them to reformat the ENTIRE drive. Luckily I was able to restore most of my data using data recovery software.

Just wanted to share my $0.02 on this issue.

21. godbout macrumors regular

Yes 15" and 17" PBs now both come standard with ati radeon 9700 128MB. Performance wise the PB is much faster than the iBook (you will notice this in everyday usage, I have used both) not only because of the processor speed but perhaps more so the HD, VRAM, etc... I am not saying that the iBook is not sufficient for what you want it for...

On another note I have found that my PB compared to my iBook holds up much better against scratches, marks, general dirt... (maybe because I baby it more?)

compare the two at www.xbench.com for general speed and a breakdown of their weak and strong points.

22. timmyp thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, guys... I'm leaning more towards the 15" powerbook now...
    I think I'll head to the nearest Apple store and experiment "heavily" with the 12" iBook again before making the final decision.:D

23. Chrispy macrumors 68020

Chrispy

That is the best thing to do :) Just stay away from the 17" PowerBook as its beauty and very bright and beautiful screen will suck you in ;) The iBooks are great machines and I would normally say go with a 15" PowerBook but the lines in the screen and, in my opinion, dimmer display than the previous model makes it hard for me to recommend. Check them out for yourself and that will help you decide. You will enjoy your mac regardless of what you do!

24. timmyp thread starter macrumors newbie

I went to a nearby Apple store AGAIN(probably my 12th trip this week) and apparently they were updating "something" on all display models except iPods. Didn't even get a chance to glimpse because they taped white paper(with "DO NOT TOUCH! UPDATE IN PROGRESS" sign) all over them. :(

Ended up buying another iPod(yeah, the black 30GB w/ video) instead to add to my growing collection of 4G iPod, iPod mini and iPod shuffle. I just can't stop buying Apple stuffs.:p Well... thanks to today's purchase, I don't think I'll have enough $$$ in hand to get the 15" PB now... sigh.... :confused: