ibook 12" Question

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by TechZone, Dec 27, 2004.

1. TechZone macrumors member

TechZone

Hi, I need some help. I am a college student. I wanna buy the 12" ibook. I don't know anything about mac's. I will use this for homework, music and basic photoshop work. Is it fast enough for photoshop work? I need some advice. Please help me. Thanks :)

2. CaptainCaveMann macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

Yes its more than fast enough im assuming you are talking about the one with the 1.2 cpu. Make sure you upgrade the ram to at least 512. You will be pleased with your purchase :D

3. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

i always wonder what people mean by *basic* photoshop work... my old iMac g3 does *basic* work, granted- it takes about a day and a half to do it.

the new ibooks are nice and speedy, i think you'll be ok :D

4. TechZone thread starter macrumors member

TechZone

Thanks

thanks for your reply. I don't know what type of ram I can use. Also how much it will cost? Can you please help me with this. Thanks :)

5. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

You must be being ironic with your MR screen name then :p :D

6. TechZone thread starter macrumors member

TechZone

One more question. ibook comes with 256mb ram. So Can I add 256mb ram or I have to buy a 512mb ram stick. :)

7. Cfly macrumors regular

8. CaptainCaveMann macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

I recomend buying your ram from crucial.com and i wouldnt waste my time with buying another 256 chip when you can buy a 512 chip for like 100 bucks i think it is and that will boost your ram to 768. You have 256 built in and one free slot that you can put either a 256,512,or 1.0 gig chip in. The world is your oyster. Whatever you buy will just add to the 256 already on there because it comes soldered onto the ibooks logic board. The more ram you add the better the performance will be just buy as much as you can afford. You are limited to a 1.0 gig stick that is the highest you can go and that will achieve 1.25 gigs of ram in your ibook. Hope that helps :D

9. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Typical laptop caveat though -- one ram expansion bay. So you can add from 256MB to 1GB in that port, but its just one shot. If you buy 256 and later decide you want more ram, you have to throw away / give away / sell the 256 stick.

10. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

You need PC2100 200-pin SODIMM DDR RAM. PC2400 and PC2700 will work too, they're backwards compatible with PC2100. But it's gotta be DDR RAM, and it's gotta be 200-pin SODIMM.

Search the forums for pricing and such on RAM for the new 12" iBook/PowerBook, there's some good sources out there.

11. TechZone thread starter macrumors member

TechZone

Thanks you guys are gr8. I can't wait to get my new ibook. :)

12. Chrispy macrumors 68020

Chrispy

Hello. I owned an iBook back when they still sold the G3 900Mhz and I didn't have any problems after I upgraded the ram. Only thing to watch out for on iBooks (this is what make me switch computers) is that the maximum resolution you can output to (without a hack) is 1024x768 if you use an external monitor. If this is not a concern for you then by all means go for the ibook. You can't beat the price.

13. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

As you mentioned, the newer G4 iBooks can be hacked to support external montor spanning (as opposed to mirroring) and higher resolutions. It seems to work harmlessly and flawless for many many people, so that concern is taken care of.

14. maya macrumors 68040

maya

Just another reason for Apple to strike fear in people buying decisions to spend more on a PB, cripple it on features that will teach em' or let then hack it and screw em' on the warranty. :rolleyes:

I am glad it works without any drawbacks, one for the faithful consumer. :)

15. whocares macrumors 65816

whocares

Using a 800MHz 640MB RAM here. Works fine for "basic" Photoshop and even with medium sized images (>75MB) if patient. An external FW hard drive (for the scratch disc) is a nice way to speed up Photoshop!!.

Maxing out the RAM is the only way to go: you'll be saving in the long run (money + time).

The screen scanning hack should work fine and is great (obviously). Plus, it shouldn't invalidate warranty: zapping the PRAM will get rid of it. Don't quote me on this :eek: :D

Hope this helps.

16. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

He's right, but better yet, get RAM from OWC (www.macsales.com), or newegg.com. The RAM as a lifetime warrantee as well, and they're quite reputable, so no worries.

And since the 256MB included with the iBook isn't removable, only 1 RAM slot is available for you to install your own RAM. I'd get a single 512MB stick of RAM so that you have a total of 768MB of RAM. It's not expensive, and it's much better than only having 512MB of total RAM.