iBook 12" Recommendation

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by chelseasian, Jan 25, 2005.

1. chelseasian macrumors regular

Oct 20, 2004
    New York, NY (Chelsea)

Since I have a 2Ghz G5, I am thinking of getting a low end iBook just for doing photos and very basic stuff when I travel. I would like to hear feedback from people who owns one, just a general view that you may have on the 12". Are there any quirks that the 14" don't have or should I just go get a 12" PB instead.

Thank you. :)
  2. rinseout macrumors regular

Jan 20, 2004
    I own the current 12"; I sprang for the 80 Gig HD and the Bluetooth, and threw in a Gig of 3rd party RAM (Certified brand, from CanadaRAM.com). It's a lovely machine, so go for it. It's nice and small (but not too small) too.
  3. n2o2 macrumors newbie

Jan 15, 2005
    The Netherlands
  4. mcgarry macrumors 6502a

Oct 19, 2004
    Dude, no offense, but please try searching first. There are 1,309,478 threads discussing the current 12" v. 12" laptop choices, and even a few discussing the not-yet-released new versions. You have every right to ask the question again, of course, based on your own unique circumstances, but for your own sake at least please see what you can learn from previous threads. You may have checked this already, but your post doesn't seem to indicate thus.

My rough take: with a PM G5 at home on which to rely, the iBook will be fine for your portable needs.
  5. leekohler macrumors G5

Dec 22, 2004
    Chicago, Illinois
    I've had 14" iBook G4 since June and I've experienced not one bad moment. I use it in addition to my desktop and it's more than capable. I would assume the 12" is just as reliable.
  6. mcgarry macrumors 6502a

Oct 19, 2004
    also, if you still do want the extra features, better graphics card, slight speed bump, slightly smaller size, etc. of the 12" PB, look for closeout deals on the still-current generation. My local campus bookstore is selling the 12" (standard combo drive config) now for $1099 (edu discount only), SuperDrive version for ... I forget, but less than $200 more now. I can't believe they'll be the only ones doing this, so it might pay to look around.
  7. mowogg macrumors 6502

Mar 10, 2004
    San Gabriel, CA
    G5 & iBook

I too have a G5 and picked up an iBook for travel. It has Airport and makes for a teriffic computer on the road. It's light and has great WiFi reception. I don't do a lot of heavy lifting on it, but that's what the G5 is for.
    I think the 12" iBook is an exceptional value. Just make sure you bump up the ram, 256Mb just isn't enough!
  8. devman macrumors 65816

Apr 19, 2004
    The 12" iBook is great value and a great little machine. For what you've described it should be fine. There's no quirks with it that the 14" doesn't have - other than the physical size of the screen of course (note - the resolution is the same though). And for what you've described, the extra money for a 12" PB wouldn't be worth it.
  9. lasuther macrumors 6502a

Feb 13, 2004
    Grand Haven, Michigan
    The 12" iBook is great. No need to spend the extra money on the 14" when it has the same screen resolution. Get Bluetooth. You might want to wait for Tiger to be released before you buy.