1. Welcome to the new MacRumors forums. See our announcement and read our FAQ

iBook: 12" vs. 14"

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by iAFC, Nov 9, 2005.

1. macrumors member

Hello everybody,

I want you to convince me to get an iBook 14" instead of a 12" one. The prices with taxes included (I'll bring it to Brazil so I have to pay high taxes) are: $1248.5 for the 12" and $1698.5 for the 14" one. Can "bigger" screen (same resolution), a little faster processor and SuperDrive compensate the extra $450?

I'd love an iBook 12" with SuperDrive... Apple, you suck. Sometimes. :(

Thanks!

2. macrumors 601

liketom

depends if you want to burn dvd's ? or if you fancy a slightly bigger screen .

both models are great for there price - but i would go for the 12" for portability - some may not

what and where are you going to be using it for?

3. macrumors member

I'll use it to make school works, browse the web, talk to my friends, download my camera photos with iPhoto and edit using Photoshop.

4. pna
    macrumors 6502

I don't know if you have access to the refurb section, but they have 12" powerbooks for $1099, and 15" powerbooks for $1299. They would just need more memory added, which is cheap to do yourself.

I'd be sorely tempted by this option if I was in the market.

5. macrumors 603

jeremy.king

The OP is in Brazil so I would bet he/she would pay more...but thanks for the heads up - I (more accurately, the wife) may be in the market.

6. macrumors member

I'm not planning to get a refurbished Mac. :p

Here in Brazil, Macs are outrageously expensive. A "stock" iBook 12" is priced at R$ 5.990,00 (approximately US$ 2,660.00). Everybody hates Apple Brazil. So pratically the only way our brazilian Mac community found to buy Macs is during trips. :(

We have a movement called "Eu amo a Apple mas a Apple não me ama" ("I love Apple but Apple doesn't love me"). :p

7. macrumors G3

I suggest you go look at both the 12" and 14" iBooks in person. Some people don't like how small things are on the 12" screen.

8. macrumors 6502a

Laser47

Well since you said you will be doing some photos, you would benifit from the larger drive on the 14". I have the 14" and when i got it around 12gigs were already taken up by preloaded stuff. So I cant imagine you would have a lot of space with a 40gig. Although you can save a lot of space by removing the printer drivers which take a couple gigs.

9. macrumors member

I already did this at a Fnac store in Brazil. The information in 14" screens is easier to read, but I'd prefer if it were 1152x864. You just can't get the expected from the extra 2 inches. :(

10. macrumors 6502a

Don't get the 14" iBook, its not worth it. If you must have a superdrive, go with the 12" PowerBook. It is much better than the 14" iBook. If you can live without the superdrive, the 12" iBook gives you a great value.

lasuther

11. macrumors 6502a

Laser47

I would get the 14" because you said that the information is easier to read, so it will be more confertable for you to use the computer.

12. macrumors 6502a

Laser47

Why is it better than the 14"?

13. macrumors member

Thank you all for the replies.

What about the screen brightness on iBook 12"? Is it good in ambients with much luminosity? I test-drove a Mac in a Fnac store (there isn't much light inside those stores :p).

PS.: I don't think I would pay more $450 for the 14" only because it's a little easier to read. The text on a 14" looks like the 12" one with 800x600 resolution. I would only reconsider the 14" if it were 1152x864. And the PowerBook 12" doesn't worth the price in my opinion.

14. macrumors member

i'm so annoyed there's no Superdrive option on the 12"

I can't believe I have to recommend 899 UK pounds for an iBook to my friend who wants a cheap iMovie/iPhoto/iTunes laptop. Superdrives cost NOTHING these days...even a £50 hike for BTO would be fine...