iBook 14" Deal

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by xoreu, Feb 3, 2007.

  1. xoreu macrumors member

    Joined:
    Nov 12, 2006
    #1
    Every time I decide for myself that I will be patient and wait until Leopard and iLife '07 come out, I get distracted by something that seems to be to good to pass up.

    Case and point: I found this offer on craigslist for $550.
    iBook 14"
    1.33 GHz G4
    60 gigs
    768 MB RAM
    Superdrive
    iLife '05
    Tiger OS 10.4.5 (though probably a Panther install CD, I haven't checked)

    I'm looking for input on this price. None of the similar computers on eBay are going immediately, so I can't use that for price comparison. Has anyone here bought/sold similar machines lately?

    Ideally, I would be able to use the iBook for about six months, then sell it and, with some extra money, get a Macbook (or a Mini, if I'm feeling desperate), when Leopard is out and well-established. Would I be able to do that?

    All in all, what do you think, deal or no deal?
     
  2. mick4394 macrumors 6502a

    mick4394

    Joined:
    Oct 25, 2006
    Location:
    Flyover country
    #2
    Looks like a deal to me, but personally, I'd prefer a 12 incher.
     
  3. BigPrince macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Dec 27, 2006
    #3
    offer $450. Though I would continue saving for a Macbook.
     
  4. classof2011 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Dec 2, 2006
    Location:
    Flying with American Airlines
    #4
    Sounds like a good deal! I personally would take it, if it's listed specs are correct.
     
  5. xoreu thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Nov 12, 2006
    #5
    Thank you for those answers.

    mick4394, portability is not that much of an issue, at least in the near future, (i.e. it'll spend more time around the house than outside it), so I think 14 inches is a good middle point for me.

    BigPrince, I tried that, but the seller is firm with the price, and since there are others interested, I think it's still a fair price.

    One more question, though: what do you think of my idea of later swapping it for a MacBook (with additional money)? Would I be able to get the same price I paid for it 6-10 months down the road?
     
  6. xoreu thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Nov 12, 2006
    #6
    Battery Life

    Anyone? Oh, well. I've decided to go for it, unless something changes drastically.

    I have a new question, though. The owner's not sure about battery life (he says it's good, but he hasn't paid attention), so I'd like to check it before buying.

    Is there a program or utility that can be used to check battery life? I remember one being mentioned in one topic, but I can't recall what it was. How many hours would be a good or average value to look for?
     
  7. BigPrince macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Dec 27, 2006
    #7
    With it being iLife 05, it lowers the value and with another OS right around the corner. Save a little bit more and get a refurb MacBook from Apple with the stanard warrenty.
     
  8. Mernak macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Apr 9, 2006
    Location:
    Kirkland, WA
    #8
    Coconut Battery, it should work since it is 10.4, but if he wipes the HD and doesn't reinstall Tiger I don't know a program that can do the same thing.
     
  9. xoreu thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Nov 12, 2006
    #9
    Yes! That was the one I was thinking of. Maybe I'll ask him to run it before I get there; that should take care of the situation you mentioned.
     

Share This Page