ibook 256 L2 cache-enough?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by jeff.macaddict, Nov 23, 2003.

1. jeff.macaddict macrumors regular

Nov 17, 2003
    I am eager to buy either an iBook or PowerBook, but am leaning towards the PowerBook only because of the L2 cache and maybe the GPU. I will be getting the low end 12" Combo Drive PB or the high end 14" 1Ghz iBook.

Does anyone know how much difference the doubled L2 cache makes in real world testing? I am a student, so I wanted a rugged 'book as I use my bicycle to get around-thats another reason I'm leaning towards the ibook. The powerbook also gets too hot for my liking and I like the bigger battery in the 14" iBook.

If anyone knows anything that may help me make my decision, please post your knowledge.
  2. daveL macrumors 68020

Jun 18, 2003
    As with most things, it depends ... What are you going to use the machine for? If you are just doing word processing, spreadsheet, etc and browsing the Web, checking email and whatnot, then I'd say the iBook is the best fit. It doesn't sound as though the added performance of the PB would offset your other concerns of heat, durability and such.

Just my $0.02.
  3. abhishekit macrumors 65816

Nov 6, 2003
    akron , ohio
    unless u r running processor intensive apps...256 L2 cache should be ok...n u cn always get the ram upto 640..so mostly it wont b slow...but again as said earlier..depnds on what u r doing with it...
    i hv an ibook and i wd say go fr an ibook...but if i had 400 bucks more to spend i wd hv got a PB :D

4. ethernet76 macrumors 6502a

Jul 15, 2003
    i got a powerbook instead of the ibook because of the L2 cache. Granted I got the 15 1.25 but still. I do dreamweaver, quark, photoshop, indesign...yadda yadda yadda...journalism stuff. It all depends on if you're doing processor intensive applications. There are quite a few programs out there that aren't CPU hogs, but just love memory. If you don't plan on doing professional work - quark, movie editing, yadda - then go with the iBook.