iBook, 4 usb ports???!

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by CubaTBird, Feb 12, 2005.

1. CubaTBird macrumors 68020

Apr 18, 2004
    Well it seems my sys profile display shows that i have 4 usb ports... 3 slow ones and one fast one... my ibook is supposed to come with 2 usb 2.0 ports yes? however y is it that my ibook only shows one under sys profile?

Attached Files:

2. GodBless macrumors 65816

Jan 22, 2005
    When did you purchase your iBook? Did you browse the internet to see if others that have a similar model to yours have the same problem? Maybe it is a common problem.

Edit: BTW I did a quick google search and I didn't come up with anything.
  3. keithpetey macrumors member

Nov 30, 2004
    no idea but mine is the same way.

12" 1.2 ghz ibook
  4. veedubdrew macrumors regular

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    One USB bus is probably for your bluetooth, perhaps other devices (keyboard, trackpad, etc) are used on a usb bus as well. My PowerBook shows one USB bus being used as bluetooth so maybe it's there for the optional feature. My PB also shows two USB 1.1 buses and one high-speed USB bus, four total.

5. Bear macrumors G3

Jul 23, 2002
    Sol III - Terra
    The way USB 2.0 works, you will usually see one high speed bus listed on your system showing all the USB 2.0 devices that the system currently has connected/powered-on. (No matter how many different USB busses they are really on.)

And you will ose one USB 1.1 Port for each USB 1.1 controller in the system. In the case of the current Apple Laptops, you get 3. One for Bluetooth and 2 for the external ports.
  6. Butler Trumpet macrumors 6502

Butler Trumpet

May 26, 2004
    Dekalb IL
    WHOA!!! Mine is the same way... nice catch. That is really weird. I sure wish I had 4 usb ports though... however I only ever use 2 at the most. :) It would just be cool.
    Oh and Mine is like that and I dont have BT on my iBook.
  7. MacNeXT macrumors 6502

Jun 21, 2004
    The intrepid chip has three USB1.1 hosts. In the iBook, one of them is used for optional Bluetooth, the other two are disabled.

The USB2 interface is connected trough the PCI bus, altough it doesn't show up in PCI configuration. Maybe that's the reason why there is only one USB2 interface shown in the USB device tree, the interface has one EHCI function and two OHCI functions.

The odd thing is that my Logitech USB1.1 mouse, which is connected to a (obviously) USB2 port, shows up under one of the three USB1.1 bus entries, instead of under the USB2 bus entry, which is what I would expect. If I remove it, the entry is still there, but without a device.

The iBook developer's document gives some details, but it doesn't explain these USB related oddities we see in the system profiler.
  8. Bear macrumors G3

Jul 23, 2002
    Sol III - Terra
    This is normal USB functionality. The USB 1.1 devices show up on a USB 1.1 controller. All USB 2.0 High Speed devices devices show up on the High Speed USB. After you unpluged the mouse, did you either refreash (Command-R) or quit and restart the System Profiler? The profiler does not update dynamically.