iBook 500 and Quartz Extreme

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by rstroud, Apr 16, 2004.

1. rstroud macrumors regular

I know since the iBook 500 has only an 8meg video card, it won't be able to run Quartz Extreme natively. Since the eye candy of OSX is one of the reasons I like it so much, should I wait and save some money for something that is QE capable? I've been playing around with some eMacs here on campus and my friend's powerbook. I just need some guidence here!

Thanks!

2. dswoodley macrumors 6502a

Are you saying you have an iBook 500mhz and want something better?

Save away then I'd say. The 8mb video card in that model was already obsolete when the dual usb iBook was released. Terrible for games, graphics work and more. Still, it was a good workhorse. I had one for two years.

3. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

RBMaraman

I have an iBook 500, and I run Photoshop, Illustrator, Final Cut Pro (Version 2), Dreamweaver, and many other processor intensive applications, and the machine handles them very well.

Currently, I'm running 10.3 Panther, and it runs the OS with no problems. I've seen a big performance increase since I upgraded from Jaguar to Panther.

If you can afford something better, then go for it. I'm planning on upgrading as soon as the G5 is in the PowerBook.

4. rstroud thread starter macrumors regular

I don't have one yet, although I am looking to purchase one. I just want the eye candy, that's all...