iBook 600MHz (12.1", combo drive) $500... good deal?

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by IndyGopher, Apr 26, 2002.

1. IndyGopher macrumors 6502a

IndyGopher

I have an opportunity to pick up an iBook (600MHz, combo drive) for $500... I just recently sold my Titanium Powerbook (500MHz, DVD) because I was offered far too much for it to turn the offer down.. and I am wondering what the opinions are on whether this is a good idea with updates to the portables seeming to be on an "any day now" type timetable. Ideas? Comments? Thanks!

2. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Re: iBook 600MHz (12.1", combo drive) $500... good deal?

this is clearly an excellent deal...

This thing costs $1499 retail. I assume it's used?

Anyhow... even if a new ibook comes out tommorrow... I think this is still a great deal.... we haven't heard much rumblings about new iBooks, which were recently upgraded with the 14" version. Next update, I predict will be after (not at) MWNY... but this is just my own personal feeling about it.

If you don't want it... i'll take it. :)

arn

3. IndyGopher thread starter macrumors 6502a

IndyGopher

Re: Re: iBook 600MHz (12.1", combo drive) $500... good deal?

Yes, it's used.. and you made good points (even though I heavy-handedly snipped them from the quote) about it being a good machine regardless what is released in the near future. Cosmetically it has a few dings and scratches, but I think I can overlook that. I think I will mull it over over-night and see what other comments might pop up.. thanks for the response!

4. IndyGopher thread starter macrumors 6502a

IndyGopher

A valid question!
    But no, the receipt (from CompUSA... poor sap) is right along with it. The person selling it has stumbled upon an equally enticing deal on a G4 notebook, and just needs the money. Besides, this would leave me owing them favors... this will no doubt be interpretted as lifetime free tech support... which is the one drawback to this deal.

5. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

Hmm, that is indeed a big drawback... $500 is a GREAT price for a 600MHz iBook, though. That's like a $1000 discount.

If you're worried about faster models coming out soon, how about:
    1) Buy the iBook for $500
    2) Hawk it on eBay immediately for $1300, leaving you with an $800 net profit
    3) Give this person some of that back in order to stop feeling guilty and to limit the amount of tech support you'll be owing him/her
    4) Put the money you've saved toward the new, updated iBook

Or...

1) Buy the iBook for $500
    2) Give it to me immediately
    3) Buy the new iBook when it comes out

Yes, hmm, I like that second choice better. :)

Alex