iBook 700 - reactions

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by blakespot, Jun 1, 2002.

1. blakespot Administrator

blakespot

I got my iBook 12.1" / 700 / Combo / 40GB yesterday. Thought I'd share some reactions.

This thing is fast. My main machine is a DP G4 800, and the iBook still feels VERY responsive under OS X. (I have not tried OS 9 on the unit, nor do I plan ever to do so.) I don't have solid benchmarks but I get a very responsive game of Quake 3 at 1024x768 with all options turned to max aside from texture quality (as you need 32MB VRAM to take that to the limit without massive performance hit). All windows are very snappy, all apps seem to load very swiftly. I am genuinely impressed.

As most are aware, un-AltiVec-enhanced code runs at pretty much the same speed on equally clocked G3's and G4's. OS X is AltiVec enhanced, so G3's suffer, generally. But the IBM G3 "Sahara" used in the new iBooks really goes a long way towards making up for that. Aside from 512K of CPU-speed L2 cache, certain internal data pathways were quadrupled in bandwidth. The 100MHz bus doesn't hurt either. I would say the new iBook 700 must be running OS X as fast or faster than a G4 550, based on responsiveness. And the Radeon Mobility is no slouch either.

And the freedom of AirPort -- insane. It's like the first time you throw two monitors on one machine. It's not until you try it that you realize how terrible it was not to have been doing it that way all along. The only negative here--AirPort sucks battery in a big way. And I get great range with the base station up on the 3rd floor computer room--no problem with speed using the iBook down on the 1st floor. Nothing like watching Divx's being pulled wirelessly from the G4 upstairs, elsewhere in the house. I an definitely see going for the S-video cable to enable the iBook to be hooked to my 27" VVEGA in my entertainment center to watch Divx's on the couch. Finally.

Don't want to ramble on though. I am just very impressed.

blakespot

2. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Thanks Blakespot.
    It is nice to see a good review of this thing. I was hoping that the speed increase would be very visable. I have the 12.1 G3 600 iBook, and I love it. I cannot wait for my first G4 though.

Thanks again.

3. Grokgod macrumors 6502a

Grokgod

Interesting~

Happy to hear that its useable for OSX.
    I want to get one for my girlfriend but have been worried about wether its
    useable inthe future with considerations of OSX.

But if your really saying that its snappy, you are saying that right? Really snappy? Then I may go for it.

So battery life is bad with airport uhh I think I noticed that on my Ti also.
    I havent tried battery life with Airport off yet.
    Not certain if turning it, turns off the base station or what exactly.

How is iTunes on the iBook?
    You can get data from your other computers via the Airport.
    Not familiar with that ability, could you spare some words on that subject.

Do you use photoshop?
    I would be interested in its speed there.
    My girl plans to use it mostly for photography and music.

4. sgw macrumors newbie

I also just got one of the new iBook 700's and the thing is great. The speed is more than adequate for my needs as a software developer, and it saved me $1000 over the price of the TiBook I was considering. I'm very glad I waited to see what the new iBooks were like before buying.

I'll be picking up RTCW in the next few days, and that will be the REAL test of performance... I'll post on how it goes :D

Now if Apple would just implement virtual desktops in OS X everything would be perfect...

5. buffsldr macrumors 6502a

buffsldr

6. blakespot thread starter Administrator

blakespot

I haven't tried it yet, but a quick search revealed Space.app. I think it's what you're looking for. Must try it on my iBook. (Would probably not run it on my dual head desktop G4).

blakespot

7. britboy macrumors 68030

britboy

RTCW is Return to Castle Wolfenstein, the game.

Virtual Desktop is the term used to describe a popular way to organize the open windows in your desktop. Imagine you hooked up a number of monitors to your computer and had a separate desktop for each. Virtual desktops would give you the same result, with just the one monitor.

8. buffsldr macrumors 6502a

buffsldr

Thanks, Britboy. I recall when I used Linux, long ago, that it had virtual desktop. You have a little "palette" that you can use to jump to different desktops, right?

9. Baseline macrumors member

How much RAM do you have in it? I'm interested in getting one, but increasing the amount of RAM is the priciest part of it.

10. blakespot thread starter Administrator

blakespot

I pulled 128MB of RAM from my i-opener temporarily until I am able to order a 512MB SO-DIMM to max out the unit at 640MB. Definitely swapping less than it was at 128MB, but I think 256MB is still a little light for OS X.

blakespot

11. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

I wish I could have a iBook, my friends dad has a 600mhz one and it runs pretty fast. OS X runs well on it and iTunes works well. Can't wait to buy one for college. (3 years off)

12. Grokgod macrumors 6502a

Grokgod

girlfriend loves iBook

What I dont like or understand it that the iBook doesnt come with an airport card and only 128 megs of ram, when your forced to put these babies into it there is a price increase that makes it a little harder to buy.

But I think I am going to have to break down and get it for her.

Unless I wait for the next version, not certain what that will be, the G3 may not have legs to go beyond the 700 unless the Ti gets an upgrade!

13. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

Re: girlfriend loves iBook

I don't think Apple would put Airport cards into their low-end Macs. It just adds to the cost for those that don't want/need it. It doesn't make sense right now. Perhaps, in the future, when wireless networks become as ubiqutous as something like modems, we'll see them as standard issue.

As for the RAM, if anything, they should be putting in 256MB as the base amount. And leaving the slot open so that you could cram 768MB total. My philosophy is that a base model should have all of it's open RAM slots free.

14. TypeR389 macrumors member

Batt Life?

Thanks Blakespot for the info, you said the Airport sucks battery life on this, what is ratio do you see(approx) and how long do you estimate the battery would last for use with airport turned off?

Thanks! Well maybe no, because I am really seriously thinking of spendning money now! :rolleyes:

15. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

thanks blakespot for the ibook review

i think we will replace our old rev. a ibook next year and by then ibook will go a couple of hundred mhz faster (to 900 mhz)...maybe

great review

16. applebesmart macrumors newbie

MY BOOK ROCKS

I have the 12inch 700mhz ibook and I have to say that it rocks. To me this is the most impressive product in the Apple line, especially when you think of the price. I'm so happy with this machine that it's almost scarry.

-----------------------------------

Technology has made my life complicated
    because now I have no excuses.

17. Grokgod macrumors 6502a

Grokgod

Happy to hear that!

Glad to hear that your do contented with your new iBook!

But I must contend with your statement that the iBook is the best in the lineup!

The new 800 Ti is the greatest of all of macs best.
    This new Ti has worked out all the kinks and its a full fledged KING of laptops.
    No more bad issues , its all good now.

While I am certain that the Ibook is great, I vote for the Ti as Apples greatest despite the uhh price < cough cough > sorry choking on my own words.

Is OSX really that snappy on the iBook>?

18. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

Re: Happy to hear that!

define snappy? ;-)

but as blakespot mentions, some improvements like 512k full speed level two cache (double what it was) and other improved pathways

i can't wait to check out the new 600/700 ibooks with the new level two cache on the g3 mobile processor

19. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

So, I just convinced a friend to buy one of the 12" 700MHz iBook, my first mac conversion. He should love it, especially after reading what was said on this thread....

20. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

you should see my dad convert people
    he has converted 4 people, 2 work friends and 2 people at a computer store
    he said try the new imac it has a DVD burner ans a flat panel display and they asked were the closest store was and they bought one :)
    he's really good at it

21. Grokgod macrumors 6502a

Grokgod

The Art of Conversion

I am really good at it!

Some of the few that I have converted among the many.

I converted my roomate to an iMac from a HP.
    I converted my girlfriend from her AMD box to a iBook.
    I converted another friend to a PowerMac.. on and on!

I give off Apple radiation!
    Those within my reach are influenced immediately.

I would tell you my sales job but thats a whole other thread to start.

On the iBook snappy issue.
    I would say that if the scrolling and window sizing was fast enough that I would consider that SNappy. I have yet to hear any information on how Photoshop runs on an iBook, of course this is all OSX related!

Something I always tell PC people.
    "Whats a PC, i look at them in earnest, you have a what? whats that?"

Of course it helps that I have a showroom at home with all the newest macs. :)

22. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

Re: The Art of Conversion

i converted a non-user to mac when she almost bought a dell...she could have been an IT client, but now she uses the imac, she does not need me

if i converted all my IT clients, i would definitely be out of a job...the mac repair place where i live also has to fix pcs to stay in business...that is where the bread is buttered;)