ibook 700mhz -- different casing from 800mhz?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by jbm, Jan 1, 2003.

1. jbm macrumors newbie

I'm thinking about getting an ibook and thought I remembered hearing about how the casing on the 700mhz is somehow different/cheaper than the 800mhz? Could anyone confirm or unconfirm this? Also, what exactly is it like, if it is different?

2. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

Re: ibook 700mhz -- different casing from 800mhz?

yes from what ive read and seen they are different. at our reseller we have the low end ibook on display. it is very nice. it is white, not the other color, powerbutton has a sticker type of soemthing on it to make it more white. plus the font on the ibook is the new apple font like on the powerbooks and 17inch imacs. from what ive read and seen online only the entry model is this new casing. i can post pictures of the new one if you guys want me to. just let me know and ill take some pictures next time i go into my parents business.

iJon

3. Gus macrumors 65816

Gus

iJon, I think you might have it backwards. The 800 are thre "Crystal White" models that appear to be more white then other iBooks, and include the new Apple font.

Regards,
    Gus

4. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

actually i think you have it backwards, i dont want to be rude and lets not flame each other because this is the mac community. at our business we have the low end entry model of the ibook. it has the new white casing, and the new font. the only way we could both be right is if all models are this new color. i have sold the higher end models to customers but havent taken any out to install ram or anything so i cant say for sure. but if it is true that only one model has the new casing it is the low end entry model and i can prove it.

iJon

5. Tommy! macrumors regular

let tommy set everyone straight:

the inner plastic (not the outer shell, but the plastic where you rest your palms, and the plastic around the monitor) is a cheaper plastic. This is only on the $999 model though. The plastic on the other models is the same old plastic, it is kind of reflective and silvery. The $999 model, however, has a very matte plastic and it feels kind of... crappy.

Plus, the new corporate font on all the models, yada yada....

6. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

thank you tommy. i knew i was right and he was wrong, no hard feelings though.

iJon

7. Gus macrumors 65816

Gus

Maybe I misunderstood your original post then. After rereading it, I really can't tell what argument you are making here, so let me put it this way;
    I am typing this on an 800Mhz iBook. It is more white then my fiancés 700 Mhz iBook. The part where the trackpad is is the same color as my roomate's 600 Mhz iBook. The font on my 2 week old 800Mhz iBook is the new Apple font. The Apple logo is more white on my computer than on my fiancés. I am only posting based on the actual machines that I have seen and worked with.

Regards,
    Gus

8. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

thats interesting gus, i wasnt trying to make you mad. maybe certain ones shipped like this, who knows. we should both look into it. im gonna post some pics soon, lets see what other people have encountered on this with the new ibooks. sorry, no hard feelings. like i said before all i have worked with is the new low end ibook. hope we can figure this out because i would like to know to tell the difference on how a customers computer will look when they buy from me.

iJon

9. pnz999 macrumors member

btw, the lid on the iBook (which is the apple logo)... Does it light up?

and What software does the new 800 book comes with some CD's? (like a software restore CD, appleworks cd?...etc?)

10. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

havent looked, will look tomorrow. they dont come with appleworks cds. i believe the only cd's it comes with are restore cds as well as a worldbook media cd. on the new powerbooks they are shipping 1 dvd instead of all those cds. its really cool and should help against people pirating apples system software.

iJon

11. jbm thread starter macrumors newbie

Wait.. does it not include a full copy of OS X ? I had a powerbook a year ago and it came with a full os x copy.
    It would kind of suck if it didn't because I'm primarily going to use debian gnu/linux on it, but would like to dual boot with OS X, which would require me to do a reinstall of the os after repartitioning.

12. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

im sorry, when i said restore cds i meant the install cds. the ibook just comes with the basic stuff. software restore, mac os x install, worldbook,and maybe a applications cd. last time i checked they arent shipping os 9 restore cds anymore with computers.

iJon

13. Gus macrumors 65816

Gus

Hey man, no way in the world was I mad at you. I just wanted to be sure I was clear.

Yeah, the logo lights up when you open up the lid, and iJon is right, you get the software, including OS X, but it is all on the install CDs, not indiovidual CDs. On another informative note, the CDs for the new iBook wil NOT work with older iBooks. Somehow the CD run a test on the machine you are trying to install.

Regards,
    Gus