iBook 900 arrives...with a stuck red pixel

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by coolbreeze, May 20, 2003.

1. coolbreeze macrumors 65816

My nightmare has come true...my new iBook has a stuck pixel on it's otherwise razor-sharp screen. Oh well, I've feared this would happen and it did. Had I been some little old lady that knew nothing of dead pixels, this would have never happend to me.

Life goes on...but man, my eye is magnetically drawn to it every time my screen turns black. Thank goodness it is invisible 80% of the time.

Other than that, I couldn't be happier with my purchase. My 512RAM chip is on the way, but I am surprised at the speed of Jaguar with the factory 128. A casual user wouldn't mind at all...but I can't wait until I have 640!

I am much more pleased with this iBook than I was with my 800 iMac FP (15"). The screen on this iBook is much sharper (due to the same resolution on a smaller screen).

Well, tomorrow should yield my base station and memory. Can't wait. Switched in Feb. 2003 and loving my second Mac (but annoyed at that red dot).

-breeze

Attached Files:

2. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Have u tried to massage it out yet?
    I hope it works for ya!

3. MacFan25 macrumors 68000

MacFan25

I would try to massage it out. I dont think that apple is going to do much unless theres more than one dead pixel, right?

4. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

everyone claims to know a specific number (8, 10, 15) that Apple requires before they consider the display disfunctional (or many clustered in same area)-- one isn't going to cut it i'm afraid. Definitely try rubbing it out, it works a lot of the time... otherwise, wear red glasses, you won't notice :)

pnw

5. King Cobra macrumors 603

I have a stuck red pixel in my iBook as well along the left side of the screen. I haven't been able to get the 1 year+ old stuck pixel out.

6. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

my ibook 900 came with a stuck pixel too. I was really annoyed... until people here suggested massaging it out.

Hold the back of the ibook behind where the pixel is on the screen. Then, using a very soft, clean cloth, rub firmly but *gently* on and immediately around the pixel. It is very likely that after less than a minute of trying this the pixel will begin to function as normal. It worked for me; I was *amazed* that this could work but it does. My pixel occasionally resticks, but when it does, I just massage it out again. Takes a few seconds; no big deal.

Good luck and enjoy the ibook. They're fantastic!!

7. coolbreeze thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks for the comments. I've tried the rubbing technique, and it hasn't worked so far. I'm afraid I'm going to make the screen "cloudy" or "hazy" from rubbing too much. Oh well, it's only one pixel and I guess I can live with that.

I'll consider the low price I got it for as compensation ($1244 + no tax + free shipping from Amazon.com).

-breeze:cool:

8. ibookin' macrumors 65816

ibookin'

I have a stuck pixel not on any of my computers, but on my CELL PHONE. I have a phone with a downright gorgeous color screen (TFT, 65K colors, near 180 degree viewable angle), but it has a pixel off to the side that is stuck at blue.

9. coolbreeze thread starter macrumors 65816

Haha, I have a green stuck pixel on my Sony DSC-S70 Digital Camera. It has annoyed me since I purchased it in Seattle in 2001.

Guess computer screens aren't the only products affected. Maybe one day this won't be a problem. Hopefully it will gradually disappear like very noisy hard drives did! Remember those 2Gig HDD's that sounded like hail on a tin roof when they accessed data? Haha. Now, they are thankfully silent (mostly).

-breeze:cool:

10. ibookin' macrumors 65816

ibookin'

Ah, the original Seagate Cheetah. I have one in my Quadra 650.

Back to topic...

I'm sorry to hear about your dead pixel. Unfortunately, Apple won't fix it if it's just one. :(

11. Parsa macrumors member

Parsa

return policy?

What's Amazon's return policy? Maybe you can just send it back and say you changed your mind...

12. chicagdan macrumors 6502a

I have a dead pixel (red, of course) dead center in my 17" flat screen iMac. I never notice it unless I'm playing a movie, then it's annoying as hell.

13. Ben Sheehan macrumors newbie

My PB had a pixel stuck on blue that drove me nuts for around 6 months - I'd read about 'rubbing' the pixel to get rid of it, but I'd tried this and it didn't work. Figured I was stuck with it.

Then I read a random thread on the subject again the past week, tried again and the bloody thing vanished in moments.

The thing is you need to actually 'massage' it not rub it - hold the back of the screen at the point that corresponds with the dead pixel, then put a tissue agains the screen and hold a finger firmly over the pixel itself. You roll your finger over that spot - rubbing doesn't work. I did this twice for like 5 seconds - the first time the blue pixel seemed to shrink, after another shot it was gone:)

14. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

coolbreeze, you can always keep trying to massage it out massage it out. like try it when your screen's been on for awhile, when it's turned off, and stuff like that. you never know. other wise, i hope it stays invisible! :p :)

15. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

yes, ben is right. The technique I use is a small circular motion. Just rubbing is not quite sufficient. Sorry for not making that clearer.