iBook 900 not waking from sleep

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by coolbreeze, May 27, 2003.

1. coolbreeze macrumors 65816

Oh boy, here we go. After about a week with my new iBook, I seem to have this new issue with it waking from sleep. The scenario is simple: I close the lid...drive home from work (or wherever, just elapse some time) then open the lid back up and BAM, nothing happens (80% of the time).

When the lid is closed, the light "breathes," etc, but as soon as I open the lid, the light stops breathing and the iBook seems as if it was never on.

I punch buttons, click the trackpad, etc (even press the power button several times) and nothing works. It stays off. The only solution that works is either take out the battery and start it up fresh or hold the power button for like 10 seconds twice (it will only power up on the second try).

What in the world is going on with my new iBook? I guess if I call Apple, they will blame it on my "non-apple" memory, which I got and installed from coast to coast memory (it works great by the way).

What gives?

2. Pipian macrumors regular

Try taking out the memory, and see if it does it... Try it once..

3. coolbreeze thread starter macrumors 65816

Well, I found another topic on Apple's discussion boards in case someone else has this problem. It seems that I am not alone here not waking from sleep I might try the memory thing, but I really don't want to go through that trouble again (I almost broke the ram chip installing it...very tight fit and quite risky).

4. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

hey, I have this problem with my ibook 900 as well! It seems to happen to me when I put it to sleep plugged in, and wake it from sleep on battery power. Do you find this pattern? When you open the lid at home, are you on battery power, or AC power?

One tip- to get it to come back on again, I use ctrl+command+power button (a force restart). That at least gets it to boot up again.