iBook? A smart choice-PB problems....

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by DickArmAndHarT, Dec 11, 2004.

1. DickArmAndHarT macrumors 6502

Hey with the holiday season approaching my mother and I are considering purchasing a iBook 14in. for my Dad. Im in love with my PB but i have had problems with it having to send it away 2 times and i just got a box in them mail because it needs to be sent away again!!

1) Screen latch
    2) Cable that connects to the monitor needed to be replaced (got just strange lines on the screen)
    3)Im about to send it away to get the logic board replaced (my sound randomly stops working, My usb port on the right side doesnt work, and my apple bluethooth mouse and kb malfunction.
    PLUS-the machine is less than a YEAR OLD!

So at this time im definatly considering puchasing the iBook and apple care, But at this time should i be expecting problems with this machine, or did i just get a lemmon

Also when I send my pb away, like any man would love to be sent back a 1.5 ghz new pb. Is this a possiblity.

Also again- Im considering writing a letter to apple explaining how i have recomeded macs to everyone i know (like all mac lovers do) just to maby get an apology for the troubles ive had with the computer. (or something free, i dunno if apple does this)

Has anyone ever had a instance when apple sent them something for free or sent them a replacement of a newer model????

Wow so much ramble

Dick

2. maya macrumors 68040

maya

Go with the iBook, its a better deal and compares to the PB if you put in some ram. :)

3. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

You got yourself a lemon!
    And I think that if something needs to be replaced 3+ times, it falls under a "lemon law" and is replaced... some iBook G3 owners with the flunky logic board had that happen to them. Plus, it is expensive to Apple to pay someone to fix it, the parts, shipping it, etc.

The iBook is great for casual use, but if your do some high-end things the PowerBook wins. Larger/Faster hard drives, faster RAM, faster bus, and it looks sexy.

But iBooks are durable, cheap(er), and have fast processors in them.

And my 12" PowerBook is working great... so has one of my buddies 15" Rev. B...

4. Jdm_rsx macrumors 6502

i really dont understand why apple makes the PB so $$$$

5. maya macrumors 68040

maya

Since if they made it cheaper people will forget about the iBook and buy a PowerBook. ;) :)

reason being is because it has the "Power" name on it so people think okay this is better in every way however not so lately and the iBook is stepping on the PowerBooks toes so people spending on the Power name are fooling themselves to think that they got a better machine and deal when in another 5 months they PowerBook internals will be in an iBook so they actually are loosing a lot of money.

If you are using PS, ram and HDD is all it really wants the faster bus and ram is so minute that you will not notice it, in that case you might as well buy a G5 since its a leap in comparison.

In a month when there are new PowerBooks released cheaper the current ones value will drop more so and those who bought iBooks in May and Oct will jump for joy those who bought PowerBooks in May will jump off a cliff. ;) :) <-- Speaking from experience bought a PowerBook and now an iBook that has more puts my PowerBook to shame. You can count on the eMac G5 killing it for iMac G5 rev A owners.

For me to re-sell an iBook that I have used for a few months I will get most of the cost back might loose 50-100 bucks big deal better than loosing 300-600+ if I had a PowerBook. :rolleyes:

6. absolut_mac macrumors 6502a

absolut_mac

No problems here :)

My daughter has had her 12" iBook almost a year now and has had zero problems other than MS Word freezing once.

I think that it's highly unlikely to get an iBook that is a lemon. Either way, Apple Care is a wise investment with any lap top.

I'm sure that he'll love his present :)

7. Brother Michael macrumors 6502a

Brother Michael

I love my iBook. Just makes sure to put more than 256meg RAM in it, otherwise...you will have stability issues. I have to restart at least once a day at this amount, and HDD space is just disappearing.

Once you get 640+ it runs great.

Mike

8. maya macrumors 68040

maya

Repair 'Permissions" and use a hardware utility application to optimize your system along with the HDD.

ANY system regardless of mobile or desktop or Mac or PC can have issues however I see no much reason as to why you restart your Mac once a day, run a utility program and such it should fix the problem if not you might have some updates that are not installed correctly. (all these are reported to cause instability, it has nothing to do with if you had a iBook or PowerMac G5). :)

Hope that helps.

9. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Your dad won't need the PowerBook. The extra RAM speed, larger HD, and things like that will get lost in emailing pictures of whatever.

Then again... is he photoshopping [your] baby pictures? FCPing your holiday videos?