ibook & a word processor

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by a2cute2control, Jul 27, 2005.

1. a2cute2control macrumors member

I know what software the ibook comes with, but is the preinstalled software good enough for a word processor. Taking some english classes so it will be well used, I see iwork is only good for 30 days, what else does it offer.

And yes i realize this could be the stupidest question.

2. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

I think iBooks come w/ AppleWorks. There's the very bare TextEdit. As for other word processors, a simple search will turn up some more answers (like this thread) but I'll be nice and list a few; freeware/shareware there is NeoOffice which is quite popular and also circus ponies. There are even more apps... but those are just a few.

3. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

TextEdit works fine, but I would stick with good ol' M$ Word.

4. stridey macrumors 65816

stridey

*Makes protective signs*

Seriously though, unless you need to use footnotes (which unfortunately, we all sometimes do), TextEdit is great.

5. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

I've said this in so many threads... as a switcher, I personally felt it was worth the money to get MS office 2004 because I am so comfortable w/ the layout (yes I did give neooffice a try as well as text edit and appleworks- gag) but in the end, I'm trying to be effective and productive, and for me, MS office helped ease the transition and I like it! Well, except for the occassional "unexpected quits." :rolleyes:

6. taeclee99 macrumors 6502a

taeclee99

Appleworks works fairly well for what it does and is compatible with Word. However, I actually prefer the MS Office suite for mac over Appleworks and even the windows version of Office. The interface looks so much nicer. If you are a student you can buy the ms office suite for pretty cheap under 200 bucks me thinks.

7. stridey macrumors 65816

stridey

I'd disagree that Appleworks works fairly well. It's an unsupported piece of crap that hasn't been updated significantly in the last five years. I'd avoid it at all costs, personally.

8. taeclee99 macrumors 6502a

taeclee99

Sure, Appleworks hasn't been updated in five years. So what??? It's a word processor for peeps sake? What critical features is it missing that make using an aternative or purchasing MS Office a must? Appleworks is still better than most of the free alternatives out there. Furthermore, the cost of MS Office is still a lot for most people even at the student discount price.

9. stridey macrumors 65816

stridey

It's bloatware and it's not written in cocoa. I use TextEdit because it's not bloatware and it is written in cocoa. The only problem with TextEdit is lack of footnote support.

10. a2cute2control thread starter macrumors member

thanks for all the help. So basically the preinstalled software isn't really what i need for a word processor and office would be my best bet. Wow nearly 200 bucks for that....not sure it's worth it.

No one has mentioned iwork, is pages not worth it, and lets face it, it's the 3rd of the price of office.

11. taeclee99 macrumors 6502a

taeclee99

If I were you I would give Appleworks a try and see if it's right for you. It works perfectly fine as a word proc. Why spend more money if you don't have to? And Pages is great for creating brochures...not so good for word processing. The program (Pages) feels unfinished....not exactly ready for prime time.

12. a2cute2control thread starter macrumors member

perhaps that's the way of the english classes world. I've given up on regular ole papers, all my projects will be in brouchure forumula. Thanks for the tip, about to be a switcher and I have to iron out a lot of things before it happens. I'm still confused about instant messenger programs and webcams, course that's a different story. So appleworks marks page numbers, footnotes, etc etc and can import and be exported into the windoze world???

13. taeclee99 macrumors 6502a

taeclee99

yes, you can do those things in appleworks and save the document as a microsoft word file.

14. AcousticDoc macrumors regular

Mac users don't pirate microsoft office like 90% of all windows users?

15. taeclee99 macrumors 6502a

taeclee99

I'm sure there are mac users out there who pirate software. But most people don't know lots of other mac users to leech off from. Especially ones who have office installed already. I would like to think that mac users are more honest than regular pc users. Sorry bit of stereotyping here....

16. AcousticDoc macrumors regular

I need mac office but I can't find anyone else that has one for me to leech off of.

17. stridey macrumors 65816

stridey

If you need it so much, you should buy it. Otherwise, make do without. As much as I like bashing Appleworks, it's a perfectly viable alternative to Word. I just don't like it. :rolleyes: ;)

18. AcousticDoc macrumors regular

b...b...but I've never bought software in my life back when I had windows :(

19. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

NeoOfficeJ is nice for a free text editor that is compatible and free. The interface needs some work, but that is currently being worked on.
    Linkety
    TextEdit is also great, but for a long English paper I'd go for either Office or NeoOffice. TextEdit is better for shorter things, not necessarily long papers. However, don't let that stop you from using it. I did and have only recently started using it.... works great! Plus uses less resources when out and about, good when you have 4% battery life left. :D

20. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

Office for Mac Student Edition is usually about $150 and sometimes you can find it on sale for about $130. Being a student myself, I think you're gonna want MS Word, but try Appleworks for a week or two to see if you can adjust.

Also, MS Office st/teacher edition can be installed on 3 computers, so if you have some friends that use macs, you might be able to go in on it together

21. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

there are a bunch of posts about this kind of stuff so whenever you have questions about stuff like this, these forums are a great place to check, everybody and their mother has an opinion on the best program for this or that, so you can usually figure out the 1 or 2 most popular and try them out to see which one you like. (this goes for all kinds of useful utilities, not just IM software).

As for your IM software question, if you want video capabilites, iChat will be the best and it comes with your computer. If you don't need video, a lot of people like Adium, its free and works with AIM, MSN, Yahoo, Jabber, and pretty much anything else you can think of.

22. AcousticDoc macrumors regular

thre''s limited installions on each cd? hmmm this is very different from windows office where anyone can install it for numerous times.

23. TDM21 macrumors 6502a

TDM21

From the original post it sounds like you are in college so let me make a suggestion: Check your schools computer store. Normally they have great deals on software. My school sells Office for $65. I've heard people in these forums who's school sells the software even cheaper. Check around. There is always a deal somewhere.

24. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

I thought versions of Office for Windows since Office XP required activiation.

EDIT: and thats illegal anyway. You should pay for the software you use.

25. AcousticDoc macrumors regular

oh, well I'm still using office 2000 (I can't see any difference...I mean it's just a word proccesor right?) instead of office xp right now. Iffice 97, 2000, xp...what's the difference!?!?!