iBook accessories and tips?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by SilentPanda, Nov 3, 2003.

1. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

I just ordered a G4 iBook and woe is my pocketbook but yay is my brain... :)

Product Name: iBook 12.1"/800MHz/Combo drive
    Options:
    065-4407 640MB DDR266 SDRAM (128MB built-in & 512MB SO-DIMM)
    065-4413 60GB Ultra ATA drive
    065-4415 Combo Drive (DVD-ROM/CD-RW)
    065-4661 Bluetooth Module

Anyhow.... I need a case for it. I sorta like the crumpler bags (thinking of a small McBains Lovechild). Anybody have any comments about various bags for a 12" laptop? I'd like to be able to carry a few extra things with the laptop (like maybe some pencil/pen holders and a pad of paper, bluetooth mouse, that sorta stuff). Don't really know what all is out there.

Also are there any "care" instructions I should know? For instance, how to maintain good battery life, which end to put at the bottom of the bag, do I need some sort of cloth between the keyboard and screen, etc, etc. Just things maybe you wish you woulda done with your first laptop.

I will be getting Airport Extreme one of these days but right this second I don't have immediate use for it. Plus I can always ask for the AE card for Christmas... :)

2. whocares macrumors 65816

whocares

Congrats on the new comp!

Can't think of any particular care for it. I just store mine in my regular backpack but a dedicated case will probably reduce the scratches. For the keyboard you can always keep the piece of waffert thin polysteirin than comes with it to protect the screen. I would encourage you to store it with the hinge at the bottom of the case, the only reason I can think is that that way the logo will be the right way up when I comes out the bag :D

Not to worry about the battery life. It's an "intelligent" battery that knows how to care for itself...

3. SilentPanda thread starter Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

As long as that Apple on the back lights up! :) (it does doesn't it?)

I'm pretty stoked to get it. I'm selling my 800 Mhz FP iMac to get the iBook instead... 90% of what I do is mediocre stuff (Safari and Mail) with the occassional "other"... so I think it'll work. Speed wise it should be about the same... good bye iMac and huge desk... hello iBook.

The desk I'm using now I bought when I still had a Windows PC and owned a 20" monitor. My iMac currently resides where just the monitor sat. Pretty soon I won't even need the desk so much!

4. Apmonia macrumors regular

I have a 12'' G3 iBook and I don't really condition my battery at all, which gives me a good four to five hours depending on what I am doing it. The bag I purchased is a one that I found at Beast Buy (yes, I meant beast) that I really liked, but I use it as a school bag as well. It is a Kenneth Cole bag with a removeable inner bag for a laptop. The cloth idea is a great and I wish I had one when I first bought my iBook. I hope that helps, John.

5. whocares macrumors 65816

whocares

Yes it does, but only when the iBook is on and open (is always off when iBook is closed). But damn cool however, and a hell of a 'wow' factor' :D

You'll find it to be a fine computer for sure. I have a 800MHz G3 iBook and the speed is fine, even for mild photoshop stuff. The only draw back you might find is the screen size, but I find to be entirely compensated by the overall reduced size/weight of the computer. Again a 'wow' factor: 'wow, your notebook is so light, mine weighs, like, a ton!'.

6. SilentPanda thread starter Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

I specifically bought the 12" screen because of it's small size. If it really gets to me I can buy a monitor for home use along with a blue tooth mouse and keyboard... no docking station needed... just plug the monitor in and go! Bam. Internet (via Airport), Keyboard and Mouse (via Bluetooth)... you're set. Granted it's still 1024x768 but that's what I've been using for 2 years now and it suits me just fine 99% of the time.

7. whocares macrumors 65816

whocares

Well you can always take a look at extended desktop: http://www.rutemoeller.com/mp/ibook/ibook_e.html
    It will let you have dual displays and resolutions above 10*7 on the external monitor. It will also probably void the guarantee too... Just thought you might like to know that the hack exists!