ibook advice ...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by jsklar, Jan 8, 2005.

1. jsklar macrumors member

Jan 7, 2005
    here's what i'm looking at - whats the best deal?
    (sorry i know this is a little long but i could really use the advice)

at the moment i'm looking at getting a 12" 1.2ghz 60gb combo bluetooth (APextreme standard) ibook from apple.com with edu discounts it comes out to $1067 before i buy extra ram elsewhere (likely an additional 512mb to boost it up to 768).

to move to a 14" 1.33ghz with all other specs similar it jumps the price to $1244 on apple's site.

if i were to go to like macmall.com or something i could get a 14" 1.2ghz 60gb combo (no bluetooth, but APextreme) plus a free 512mb ram upgrade (though they charge a 40 installation fee but i can see if i'd be able to install myself) and a free wirelesss g router after rebate and maybe a free carrying case after rebate too. and the price there is $1194 (before the 40 install fee)

or that same deal from macmall.com can be obtained on a 1.33ghz 14" for an extra 100 bucks

now is there any difference between the 1.2ghz and 1.33ghz 14" aside from the extra 133mhz? is it possible to add in bluetooth later since the macmall ones don't come with it? i didn't even consider the 12" books from macmall because they all have the 30gb hd and i want 60...

what do you think?

thanks for any help
  2. Gee macrumors 65816

Feb 27, 2004
    London, UK
    I don't think it's possible to add bluetooth after you buy (and bluetooth is kinda useful if you have a bluetooth phone). You can get a bluetooth thing that plugs into a usb port, but that's not as stylish an option....
  3. Zaty macrumors 65816

Mar 14, 2004
    The 14" 1.2 GHz model is an older revision. The most important difference is that it didn't come with an Airport Extreme Card. Secondly, now there are two 14" models that are identical except for the optical drive (Combo vs. Supderdrive) In earlier revision, the 14" had different HDD and different CPUs. So make sure you check the specs of the current revision on Apple's website. As for Bluetooth, if you want an internal BT module, you have to order a BTO configuration. It's not possible to add them afterwards.
  4. jsklar thread starter macrumors member

Jan 7, 2005
    i understand...

but it appears as though macmall has added the airport extreme to the 1.2ghz 14" and it has a 60gb hd... but then again it would be must nicer to have bluetooth built-in... so it still may be worth it to go with the 12" 1.2ghz with blue tooth ...unless those extra 133mhz are worth the cost and added size/ weight of a 14" model.
  5. Jdm_rsx macrumors 6502

Nov 26, 2004
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    12 inch ibook is fine for 1000 bucks

and u get can ram very cheap for 100bucks @ compusa (512mb)

i bought my 1 gig ram on ebay for 200 shipped

check ebay even

u wont lose a lot of money if u were to sell the ibook soon

perhaps 100-200?