iBook airport fails to see network

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by iMetalG5, May 13, 2005.

1. macrumors 6502a

Apr 13, 2005
    This is strange, sometimes my iBook fails to see my network and I have to turn airport off and leave it off for about a min. and then turn it back on. It then connects to my network but why does this happen? Is there a way to stop this from happening?
  2. macrumors 6502

Oct 25, 2003
    iBook Airport nightmare

This happened to my iBook so often I finally ditched the stupid AirPort and had a hard wire put in my office. This was AFTER I had to buy a new card.
    I could never get anybody to explain why this was happening.
    Sorry no answer, but you are not alone on this one.
    BTW .. what kind of iBook/Airport? Extreme?
    I had an old Graphite Clamshell..
  3. macrumors 65816

Apr 19, 2004
    Sydney Australia
    Have you made a custom location for your network? By default, Mac's network locations are set to automatic. If you have not configured it, your Mac will be looking for access over all ports - Airport, ethernet, bluetooth, modem and firewire.

I would suggest going into your network control pane in system preferences and make a new location. Enter the relevent details, in your case Airport and set it to join a specific network when in that network location.

My PowerBook roams between home and work using a combination of 2 Airport networks, a modem and an ethernet network. Having individual locations set up make it easy - just select where you are and then you are online.

Sometimes my network drops out as well but all I do is switch to another location and back to the original one and it re-connects. It happens about once a month.

4. macrumors 6502

Jan 19, 2005
    also with powerbooks

sounds kinda like my problem, which others are having too.. check out my post herehere
  5. macrumors 65816

Savage Henry

Feb 20, 2004
    in a one horse, two house, three pub town.
    My iBook suffers with the Airport signal as well. I try tilting it, tapping it, seated from a different room, fiddling with the Airport signal setup; eventually it finds it...just before I sling it out the window. I've never had a permanent shut out.