1. Welcome to the new MacRumors forums. See our announcement and read our FAQ

iBook / AirPort - Horrid Range?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by admiraldennis, Nov 7, 2003.

1. macrumors regular

I've had my iBook/500 (dual usb) for a few years now, and recently decided to get an AirPort card for it for use in school. I bought it used, but it was in very good condition (factory box), and the computer recognizes it fine.

Today I installed the card, but my reception seems to be horrible. I need to be within like a few feet of any base station for it to work! :confused:

My friend on his PowerBook (he has an airport extreme card, but our school only has 802.11b) can get 90% range when I don't get *any*? :confused:

Is something wrong here? A defective card? Antenna? Or is that was 'normal' airport is like, and somehow his card helps him in an 802.11b network?

2. macrumors 68040

mactastic

Something is odd. The iBook is known for its range over a TiBook. Perhaps the antenna didn't get plugged in to the card when you installed it?

3. macrumors 6502

Very odd. My iBook 700 Combo can get a full signal 50 feet away from the router. I get 3/4 on the Airport display when I'm standing in my driveway, about 75 feet way - and I still get reception around the corner from the house. Check to see if you plugged in the attenna cable into the card.