Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Markleshark

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 15, 2006
Carlisle, Up Norf!
So I have a G3 900Mhz iBook, and to my understanding (I may be wrong) when the battery is fully charged should the light on the power adaptor not go green? Well it always stays orange, also, when I go to check if the battery is charged after I would have thought it would be finished it just says 'Calculating... until full' while charging it has the time, so say it says 20 mins, then 25 mins pass so you'd say it was charged well instead of saying charged it just says 'Calculating... until full'

Any ideas why this would be? Will this damage my battery?

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
I think that this is a faily common bug that a lot of people en up experiencing. Just keep track of when it gets to 99 percent and unplug it.

Also, when are you beginning to charge. The iBook won't start charging the computer until it reaches a specific percentage of charge, I think around 95%. Post 900

xlii

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2006
Millis, Massachusetts
How long can your Ibook run off just battery power? If you can last 2.5 hours or longer I wouldn't worry about it. If your battery is dying after less than an hour of runtime... then I would say you need a new battery.

xlii

Markleshark

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 15, 2006
Carlisle, Up Norf!
I usually start charging when the little battery icon gets to the red bit. I'm not that bothered about knowing if the battery is charged, mainly I just want to make sure its safe to leave it running off the power adaptor and if it will damage my battery.

Also, my battery lasts about 4, 4 and a half hours. iStat Pro says its only had 105 cycles... should hopefully be ok for a while yet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.