iBook always thinks an external display is connected

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by justin_s, Apr 7, 2003.

1. justin_s macrumors newbie

I have a 700Mhz 12" iBook with Mac OS 10.2 installed. It worked normally for a day, but now it always thinks an external display is connected:

starts up with Apple logo on full screen
    then switches to using only about 7.5 inches of the screen

I know that this is what usually happens when an external display is connected, but no display is connected.

Anybody know what could be wrong?

2. losfp macrumors regular

maybe you've got it set to 800x600 or 640x480, but so that the screen doesn't stretch? check that your display is 1024x768 in your preferences?

3. janey macrumors 603

janey

mine's doing that too but it acts normally until you log in at that point your screen goes all 256 colors and thinks it's a VGA and there's an LCD connected...i have a screwed up video card (and logic board) that apple's replaced once but still does it...my temp fix is just to keep the minivga to vga thing permanently plugged in...

4. justin_s thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried your temporary fix of keeping the adapter plugged in, but the screen is still on it's small size. Besides the screen getting smaller, in the Displays system preference pane, it shows 2 different windows, the one for the nonexistent external monitor can only be at 640 x 480 and the one for the iBook can only be at 1024 x 768. Anything other solutions?

5. skymaXimus macrumors regular

Hit F7 (maybe fn +F)

6. justin_s thread starter macrumors newbie