iBook and 8cm CDs

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Latino, Jun 29, 2003.

1. macrumors member

Hi guys

I recently (about a month ago) got a new 900 12" ibook, and I was wondering if the included combo drive is able to write those small 8cm CDRs at all.

Does anyone know? I couldn't find anything on apple support pages

Thanks a bunch for any help

2. macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

its more likely that the ibook could compared to a powerbook since you fit in the cd onto the drive but i haven't actually used them because i don't have a need.

3. macrumors member

I'm not an iBook owner, but you shouldn't have any trouble. I have a CD burner that's similar to the one on your machine (the low-profile Firewire "SmartDisk" burner that they were giving away with the TiBooks a while back), and it's able to burn the small CDs flawlessly.

As far as I know, the only drives that might have difficulty with the small discs are the slot-loading models (which does not apply to the iBook).

4. macrumors member

well, physically I'm sure I can fit it in, since the cd drive is of the tray type, not one of those slot in ones, but I'm not sure the drive will be able to write it. I read that some drives can't write to those CDs, eventhough you can easily slot them in...

Any thoughts? anyone done it? i guess I could buy some and try it, but if anyone has the answer, it would be quite helpfull. :)

5. macrumors member

Is it the same model? or is it just another tray loading laptop cdrw? I don't think all are compatible. I believe compatibility goes beyond physically being able to put the cd in... correct me if I'm wrong

6. macrumors member

It's a laptop-style tray loader, but no, the internal mechanism can't be identical to yours, since you've got a combo drive and mine is merely a CD burner.

You may be right about the compatibility issue -- I can't say for certain. All I can tell you is that I've done it with this drive (and with other tray-loading CD burners that I own). That said, I highly doubt that trying to burn such a disc in your machine would cause damage to the drive, even if it's not compatible. I think your safest bet is to just get ahold of one and try to mount it as a re-writable disc in the Finder. If that proves successful, chances are you can burn it without any problems. Sorry I can't give a more definite answer, though.

Good luck! :)

7. macrumors 65816

mrjamin

i've done it - works fine.

8. macrumors member

Excellent... I like to hear that. :)

I think I'll try to get hold of some mini CDRs next weekend to try it out.

Thanks for all the help guys!

9. macrumors 6502

pianojoe

Actually, there's no obvious reason why it shouldn't work.

It's clear that these small CDs don't work in slot loading drives like the PBs though.