iBook and a few games.

Discussion in 'Games' started by Declan, Oct 27, 2004.

1. Declan macrumors member

I recently picked up a G3 700 ibook, 640MB and 16MB Redeon card, will these two games be playable..Jedi Knight II and Wolfenstein..

2. vraxtus macrumors 65816

vraxtus

If you don't mind watching a slideshow, yes.

3. Declan thread starter macrumors member

Why are the minimum specs not higher then if the ibook won't play them, and have you personal experience or guessing..

4. AdamR01 macrumors 6502

I have an 800MHz iBook G3 with a 32mb Radeon 7500 and 640mb of ram and Wolfenstein runs well, and I bet it would run on your machine. Jedi Knight 2 is a little more iffy. I would download the demos of both and try them out.

5. ZildjianKX macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

They should be at least playable at 640x480 on default settings. Their system requirements are pretty low (400 and 500 MHz each)... so I wouldn't worry.

6. vraxtus macrumors 65816

vraxtus

Ok well, to start, I played the JK2 Demo on my iBook 500 and it got about 5-10 FPS. So there.

7. Declan thread starter macrumors member

LOL, only wanted to know your experience, 500 ibooks didn't have radeon card, just tried demo and is perfect at 640, so cool..

One thing not mentioned, in the demo readme it states 32MB card, though 16 seems to just do..

8. applekid macrumors 68020

People played it fine on their 600 MHz G3 iMacs with the 16 MB VRAM GPUs, so I think performance won't be completely crappy.

9. Declan thread starter macrumors member

10. neoelectronaut macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

There's a demo of Rayman 3 available too, go grab it.

In my experience (eMac 1Ghz, 32MB 7500) it's...okay. It's not screaming by, but I guess it's playable.

11. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

If only one day we will be able to play games as smooth as a console on our macs.

12. applekid macrumors 68020

Here's a good time to whip out the old "why consoles seem to be better than the computer reasoning":

First off, your TV resolution is usually lower than your computer resolution (except when you go to HD resolutions).

Secondly, the graphics quality of the console version of any given game is lower than the PC counterpart.

Thirdly, the lighting, shadows, and other special effects are often simulated, not real in comparison to your PC game. It's complicated, but it's "real" on the PC while it's "faked" on the console.

Finally, console hardware is more specialized than a PC. The developer also only has to worry about a single platform when making a console game. The PC has hundreds of possible variations with all of the hardware from multiple brands.

Now, these last reasons are mostly theories, not completely proven:

-Porting has possibility for overhead.
    -The coders for a console will more likely use some special assembly code which will help in optimization greatly.

Now to hope this doesn't got into a "I've got a smart idea: Apple should partner up with a console company!"-type threads. :(

13. Declan thread starter macrumors member

Thats why i have a XBOX and gamecube but i want some games for on the road, i got my mac for computing and consoles for gaming..but what games would everyone recommend..ie doom style games or adventure for my ibook??